Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Dates are wrong

8 replies [Last post]
Alfon Lyndon Joson
User offline. Last seen 7 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear colleagues

I have encountered in P6 which has a wrong date calculation. The start date of the Successor is the same as that of the finish date of predecessor with a relationship of Finish to Start (FS). Have you encountered this before? what shall I do?

ie. Activity A has a duration of 3 days Start - 01SEP08 Finish of 03SEP08

Activity B (Successor of Activity which has a relationship of Finish to Start) has a duration of 4 days with Start date of 03SEP08 and completion date of 06SEP08.

The Start date of Activity B should be 04SEP08 not 03SEP08 by the relationship of F-S.

Hoping for your comments and solution for this matter.

regards

Replies

Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Thanks Ronald. I should say P6 Calendars is in "half-hour" not in day.

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Arnold,

You are close; the real answer is, “P6 schedules durations in something like half-hours.” Open any calendar and click on the “Detailed work hours/day” button on the top. You will see that you can assign any half-hour as a ‘work-day’ or a holiday.

The next interpretation of what P6 schedules to can be found by setting your User Preferences to show Time and to show Minutes. If you will look at any reasonably complicated schedule, you will notice that activities are scheduled to begin and end in minutes with 08:01 and 08:29 being common ‘dates.’ This tells me that P6 schedules down to the minute and perhaps even less. It is a real mess, isn’t it?
Olby Shaju
User offline. Last seen 5 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Hi,

Before importing from P3 you need to do all the Preference setting of how it is available originally in P3 and then do the importing, it will do good. Don’t try backwards from P6 to P3 then it will be a mess. Primavera recommends migration from P3 to P6 and not taking it back.

Regarding the dates it follows the hours. The base duration in Primavera is in hours.

Olby
Arnold Puy
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Alfon,

I agree with Alex, P6 Calendars is in hours not in days.

Regards,

Arnold
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
HI Alfon

As long as you set your preference as planning in days it should be ok.

When you import from P3 you do need to verify you calendar

HTH

Alex
Alfon Lyndon Joson
When I Import p3 into P6, durations were messed, duration and lags turned into days-hours, how can i set this up so that next time i import from p3, it will be just days, not days-hours.

regards
Alfon Lyndon Joson
Alex

You’re right, but can i just use days without hours as a duration?

regards

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Go to preference - display time

check your predecessor time. Especially if the predecessor is a start milestone (It default start @ 8:00am as a result your successor will be on the same date

HTH

Alex