Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Total Float P3e

6 replies [Last post]
Graeme Caldow
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
I hope someone can help…I have activities start, finish milestones and tasks within my schedule that are 100% complete but still show large amounts of total float. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I want the activities to show 0 Float.

Replies

Wasantha Nanayakkara
User offline. Last seen 7 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Graeme,

Before you schedule the programme, go to options and
Select ’’retain Logic ’’ or ’’Progress Override’’ to see how it changes.

I think it works.

Wasantha
Waseem Saber
User offline. Last seen 2 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Graeme,

check there must be some constraints assigned to some of your milestone activities, there is a possibility one of those activity is constrained and actually finished late, thus causing this float issue, hope this is the scenario and it works, otherwise, let us know, if you found the solution, this is a intresting situation worth consideration.

cheers

Waseem Saber
Graeme Caldow
User offline. Last seen 14 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks everyone for the responses.

Paul, With regard to the system showing null total float, that’s exactly what I want to show. Unfortunately my system does not show this. I don’t know why...

Rodel, I had checked my Project Settings date previously, I had not entered a date in the must finish by date tab.

Ronald, I think this P5 Service patch will help.

Once again everyone thanks for your help.

Graeme
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 29 weeks ago. Offline
Graeme,

This condition was introduced two years ago with the release of P5. It was ’fixed’ in the first P5 service patch. (By the way, completed activities really do have float but you really need to understand complex CPM theory in order to understand why.)
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Graeme,

Check your Project Settings Date. It happens only when Must Finish By date is higher than Finish Date.

To check: Select Enterprise-> Project then select your Project to check and click Date tab. If "Must Finish By" date is higher than "Finish" Date then remove the "Must Finish By" date.

Hope this help.

Rodel
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
When I make activities as complete my system displays nul total float, that is there is no value displayed in the total float field.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au