Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Longest path in the enterprise project schedule issues

3 replies [Last post]
Kevin Matthews
User offline. Last seen 14 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
All,

We have 3 projects in an enterprise structure and link activities between the three. The problem we are facing is the longest path is always project specific and not enterprise specific i.e 3 projects; 3 longest paths. This is confusing management as there are 3 critical paths.

In p3 there was projects and sub-projects and the critical path was one path between many sub-projects...

..am I missing something ?

Keep Planning,

Kevin.

Replies

Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 21 weeks ago. Offline
Kevin

I have raised this issue with Primavera today. The only way I can find to develop a Critical Path over multiple projects is to:

1. Open the projects and select the default project.
2. Calculate the schedules. It also appears that you have to manually change all the projects Data dates manually.
3. Identify the early finish of all the activities.
4. Set a Project Must Finish by Date in all projects.
5. Recalculate the projects.

Primavera Version 5.0 does not seem to have the option to handle multiple subprojects that P3 has!

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Training Manual & Book Publishers & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi
Pay attention on how you sort the activities.
It may lead to think that you see a project CP while can have the Enterprise one.

L
K D
User offline. Last seen 15 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi Kevin.
We think you can try option "Calculate multiple float path" while scheduling.
It can create a longest path throughout your 3 project. You need to group by "Float path" in Activity table.
Thanks