Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

EV reports in P3e

2 replies [Last post]
Sander Gorissen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 38 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi,

My name is Sander Gorissen and since a few months I work for Dockwise Ltd. in the HQ in the Netherlands. Momentarily I am implementing Enterprise 5.0 as project management tool. Since this company has never really used such a tool, I’m still making the people familiar with all the possibilities.

One specific thing that I want to show are the efficiencies (EV/ACTUAL) per RESOURCE and COST ACCOUNTS. Therefore the Earned Value will need to be determined per resource or COST ACCOUNT. To me it seems impossible to generate this information directly out of P5E.

So far I found two workarounds:
1) Configure the settings so that: “Earned value” = “BQTY” – “remaining units”. Then sort the resource assignments by resource an show the “remaining QTY” and “BQTY”. Copy the information to excel and process the data in excel.

2)Group all resource assignments per resource along with the BQTY. Then copy this information to excel and export the activity progress to each corresponding assignment. And then again, let excel do the calculation.

These two workarounds are a bit laborious considering that with P3win it needed about 3 mouse clicks to generate this information. I can work with the workarounds but in the future we are planning to use P3e for all projects and maintaining 40 or 50 excel sheets is not an option. Furthermore I can’t believe that I am the only person that would like to have this information. So this problem should already be known. I’ve already contacted Primavera Netherland, but they couldn’t help me with this issue.

I did get another work around from Primavera USA:
----------------------------------------------------------
1) Add two resource assignment level numeric user defined fields. For example "UNITS % COMPLETE Calc" and "Resource EV"

2) Add a Global change with the following ’Then" statements and run the change :

a) "UNITS % COMPLETE Calc" equals Units % Complete \ 100. Primavera populates Units % Complete as a whole number and we need the number stored as a decimal.

b) "Resource EV" equals "UNITS % COMPLETE Calc" x Budgeted Cost or Budgeted Units.

3.) Once you have ran the global change, you could include these resource UDF values in a report to get the resource level earned value.

I am going to email you a report that I created that should have the formatting that you are looking for. You can use this as a template if you decide to use the above workaround. Just import the report and then you can make all the adjustments that you need you.
An enhancement request for this issue is created.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Bud sadly this work around also doesn’t. Because by updating the “units % cmlpt” P3e will calculate actual hours! Which I think is weird the “units % cmlpt” has got nothing to do with the actual hours(or costs) SPENT!! I want to keep control of the actuals! It is THESE efficiencies that I want!!!

First of all I hope that anyone as reads and understands this story! Hahaha.
Secondly I hope that there is someone out there with a solid solution .... or at least someone who tries to cheer me up with a good joke or something, because I’m getting pretty frustrated!

Many, many thanks in advance

Sander Gorissen

Replies

Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Sander,

Out of personal experience I can tell you that implementing EVA on individuals is likely to blow up in your face.

P3e release 1.5 (which was the current release in 2000) actually offered this capability. I suspect it was removed from the tracking module for performance reasons in 2.0, and I remember making a big fuss about it at that time.

However, after a using it few months I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t measure anything meaningful and will generally drive the wrong behavior.

Should you however want to keep pursuing this I can recommend to first establish an agreed upon baseline for each individual assignment, refrain from multiple assignments to one activity, and measure %complete through timesheet actuals and remaining work estimates, obtained from the individuals doing the work. Pivot tables in Excel can then slice the data for you.

H.T.H.
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
just do it in excel then...