Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Reports in P3e

5 replies [Last post]
Maya C
User offline. Last seen 15 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
What is the difference between Report Wizard and Reports Editor?

I am trying to replicate an existing report using Report Wizard (with additional filters) but unable to do so. The existing report has very good formatting and I was trying to understand how I could create something like that, using the Wizard, but when I click on the report and say MODIFY REPORT, I lose all the properties of the existing report and have to start afresh using SUBJECT AREAS etc..

Your insights will be very helpful.

Replies

Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Maya
Open the Editor --> select the group’s header where you would like to assign a filter by left mouse button --> right mouse button --> properties --> select button "Filter".

There is one item I didn’T manage by the Editor: The matrix for time distributed data. And I found it easier to create a report with the wizzard.

Good luck
Dieter
Maya C
User offline. Last seen 15 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Thank you all for sharing your experiences. I made a copy of the Original report and modified it using the Report Editor. This needs some practice as the editor is not very intuitive to use.

Also, the original report has some really good/complex formatting and grouping, which would probably be impossible to accomplish with the Wizard. Does anyone one where I can learn about formating using EDITOR?

Also, I was unable to use filters via the EDITOR (For Ex. If I want to report on CRITICAL ACTIVITIES only). It is easy enough to do in the Wizard, but I am not sure if we can do it in the Editor?

Thoughts?
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Maya
I always start with the wizzard. Important is the report group you select. This choice will determine the available data.
The second step, if required, is a fine tuning with the editor for different formatting and more loop-throughs - i.e. more available data items. For this step I always use a copy of the original.
Regards
Dieter
Suresh Sankaranku...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 1 week ago. Offline
Maya,
Do you want to create a report with your own alignment / field etc or you want to generate report using the wizard ? Using the wizard is more easy but much limitation is there. If you want to develop a report in your own style you may need the admin power.

Regards
Suresh
Mark Roberts
User offline. Last seen 16 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Maya

You would be best to open the report you wish to modify in the report editor. The report editor allows you to customise any report that was originally created with the wizard. In may take a bit of trial & error before you understand how the report editor/report canvas operates. Any changes you make in the editor can be saved, however, they will be lost if the report is reopened in the wizard.

Hope this is of some assistance.

Cheers
Mark