Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Export to P3

10 replies [Last post]
PAUL WATER
User offline. Last seen 17 years 7 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Can anyone write me the steps Exporting from P3e into P3
Thanks in anticipation

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Paul,

I’m not really sure of what is your problem regarding the SAP interface. In my experience if your have a SAP interface with P3v3.1 you need to have a P3v3.1 program installed on your system and not just a P3v3.1 files only. You also need to update your data dictionary using P3v3.1 program. This will create a DDF files which is required for interfacing to other ODBC compliant database such as SAP. I suggest that you need to check with your IT who creates the interfacing with your SAP. SAP also can have a direct interface with P3e/ P5 which is easier than P3v3.1 because it also running on MSDE database or Oracle. It can also use a direct ODBC link interface which ever your IT are familiar to use.

HTH,

Rodel
PAUL WATER
Thanks for your reply and help, enough information you friends provided but the problem I was facing was internal SAP interface. Thanks again for your cooperation.
Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 17 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Paul
You can find the answer here:
http://kpms.com.vn/forum/index.php?topic=17.0

Thanks
Khuong
Mangesh Khuspe
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
hi
paul it would be better if you try to do that thing and then let us know what problems u are facing, please do not take it otherwise but your problem is just like you want to know & learn swimming before going in to water, is that possible?.
i may sound some rude, but your posts compelled me to say that.
anyway try first and then let us know so that we could help you.
keep planning
cheers
mangesh
Benito Nepomuceno
User offline. Last seen 8 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Paul,

Here is the simple step that you must do. First open your P3e project that you wanted to export to P3. Then in P3e you use :File>Export. Once you click export the wizard command prompt to an action.Export Format click or check Primavera Project Planner (P3),click next. You prompt again to select what to export Project, Resources, Roles. Click Project & Resources (depend on your option). Again the wizard ask "Project to export" Check the box for the project you wanted to export. Click next then type the four character for the new P3 project. "????" then continue the process as you wanted the planning units for day/hours. click next until last command to ask calculation cost 1&2 then click finish. thats all and you can go to P3 software to open the "????" file. Be sure you know where did you put this file"????".

Regards,
Benito
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Paul
give details, please, where you need some support. Where are your difficulties?
Regards
Dieter

PAUL WATER
Thanks Dieter! But I am still lacking some information about this export. Any guidance in this regard would be great. Thanks again
Dieter Wambach
User offline. Last seen 7 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Paul

It really not difficult. BUT: Data structure is different, many P5 features don’t exist in P3. The following will not be transferred:
- EPS, OBS, Responsible Manager
- Resource tree
- Thresholds, risks
- Code trees

The following will be cut:
- All ID’s, if you exceeded P3 maximum
- Activity names
- Number of codes if you exceeded maximum length

So after the export in general you’ll miss a lot of data.

I’m sure that I forgot some items but hope, this will help.

Regards
Dieter
PAUL WATER
Thanks for your cooperation, but I need some more detail, the problems encountered during this export. Thanks again
Mangesh Khuspe
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Hi
paul
log on to p5,
go to file menu, click on import and rest of the things are self explanatory.
hope it helps

cheers
mangesh