Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Level of Effort and Critical Path

8 replies [Last post]
Sebastian Rush
User offline. Last seen 7 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi all! I have a master schedule with a number of LEO activities, but when I schedule by using longest path as critical, they do not "turn" red??? Can someone educate me a bit on this please.

Thanks.

Seb

Replies

Dean Mulligan
User offline. Last seen 5 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Interesting David, I’ll try that now
David Podmore
User offline. Last seen 12 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Just a last note; have you tried using a WBS Summary task? It mimics a WBS parent without being one AND can be on the Critical Path.
Dean Mulligan
Gordon .... thanks for the tip on P6, it’s been quite annoying for years that a rollup has to be done again and again ........
Dean Mulligan
Thanks guys, a colleague said I could drive the colour through coding. This is the best way forward for me now (even though I may have to revert to the WBS option - Plan B!!).

And I am trying to do it using the Activity ID but the filter changes ALL the LOE activity colours. How can I isolate just 1 activity? Also everytime I run the filter and then go back in ALL the settings go back to "all activities" ie it loses the settings I want and goes to default ..... why is that?
Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

LOF is same as the old "Hammock" activity, it provide the summary effort of the linked activity, however, it cannot be a critical because simply is id not form part of the detail critical path.

To achieve what you wanted in a report format you can use coding to drive the LOE activities to turn RED color.

HTH

Alex
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Dean,

I tend to just use the WBS, run a rolled up layout and where the WBS contains critical activities, they will show on the summary bar.

[The benefit of P6 being that you can save the ’roll-up level’ when you save the layout]
Dean Mulligan
Hi, I’d like to know more about establishing a critical path using LOE bars. For example in a programme that has 1000+ activities that role up to say 50 LOE’s - it may be useful to show which LOE’s are ’representing’ critical activities

I’ve looked at creating a ’New’ LOE bar (with a filter) to go with the Remaining and Actual LOE’s - this looks tricky and may not be possible, before I waste a week doing this, has anyone else tried and succeeded????
hamed planner
User offline. Last seen 17 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Seb,

As you said you have a Level OF Effort Activity,

Level of effort is not part o your critical path becouse its duration is defined base on your critical path Duration,
As an example , you have a project and you have security guard on site , you could not say Security guard is part of your Critical Path, becouse the duration of Perform security task is depend on your project Duration , the same for Services , Supervision ( In some cases) , PMO Offic

Good Luck

Hamed