Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Effective Methods of P3e enterprise wide Installation

5 replies [Last post]
Nitin Naik
User offline. Last seen 8 years 12 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have recently being involved in two enterprise wide installations of P3e. I found that there are two distinctive approaches within the two organisations.

In the first case, I was involved in the implementation of P3e for Government Organisation. In this case, separate Primavera databases were installed for each separate division. The database was installed on a terminal server and user access was provided to the application through the network. It allowed effective management of the users within each division and also better control on use of the software.

In second case, I am currently involved in very different methodology than I experienced before. There is only one database which is accessed nationwide remotely through the network. In this case, the challenges are reliability, speed and P3e limitations which do not allow effective use of this application.

I would like to know the industry practices for enterprise wide application of P3e in your experience. I would highly appreciate if you can direct me to some previous research/ case studies.

Highly appreciate your feedback

Best Regards

Nitin

Replies

Nitin Naik
Hi Bijaya,

Thanks for the reply. I am in the similar environment as mentioned in your response.

The only problem with us is to have database on remote interstate location and it is access nationwide. The issues are stability, quick response in case of any information loss, managing users with higher security rights.

I feel this issues could be resolved if there are separate database for each division.

Lastly, I am not sure about the process of moving this postings into P3e.

I might have to start this thread as new topic under P3e.

Thanks once again

Bijaya Bajracharya
User offline. Last seen 8 years 23 weeks ago. Offline
This discussion should have been under P3e Forum rather than P3.

And I see it more as connectivity and network issue. I have worked in an environment where the main database was in central server and we could work in those projects from anywhere using CITRIX. It works very well here and was brilliant.
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Nitin,

On your case I would suggest that P3e database will still seat on your main server accessible interstate and have a separate database installed on your state division which what I did on my case. I’m free to use our state server with P3e database, my standalone database and update our main inter state database in schedule basis because we are using satellite network on other areas. I don’t see any difficulties accessing interstate but again depends on you network connections. We upgrade our network using Telstra and peribit device to speed up the connection and it solve the problem.

Rodel
Nitin Naik
Hi Rodel,

Thanks for your feedback. The situation I am in is that the database is sitting on a server inter state and we are accessing the database through the server.

In this situation, we are having issues such as speed, reliability of the applications, limited import functionality and more bigger problem is we are stuck if the application is offline and we can’t get our information back in short time.

The situation I am trying to propose is to separate the database for each state division rather than having it interstate.

I am trying to convince its advantages and reliability but it seems that I need to build a strong case

Can Anyone share their thoughts and experiences on similar circumstances?

Much appreciate your feedback

Nitin
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 17 weeks 1 day ago. Offline
Hi Nitin,

In my experience both installation are fine but there some advantage and disadvantage between the two.

Both P3e application and database sitting on a server:
Advantage:
• Any user can use the P3e even not installed on their PC but depends on the license seat purchase because it limit the number of user at the same time.
• Securities on P3e are more control and save layouts are available to other user.
Disadvantages:
• If only on license seat, only one person can use the application.
• Depends on the network but I found it slower than the other method when multiple user are using the application at the same time.

P3e application is installed on every users PC and only the P3 database sitting on server.
Advantages:
• Depends on the network but I found it faster that the other method.
• If only one license seat purchase, every user still can use the application on different database and can update the database when it’s free from use.
• When the server is not available or not accessible, I can still use P3e as standalone.
Disadvantages:
• Security is not control, except on the database.
• Some save layouts are not available to other user.

But I think it depends on the number of license seat purchase to be more effective on a multiple user having both P3e application and database sitting on a server.

Hope this help.

Regards,
Rodel