Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Showing logic between two projects

5 replies [Last post]
Chris Carey
User offline. Last seen 16 years 47 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi,

I am very new to Primavera and am playing around with a few projects etc to learn the trade. I have created a very simple project and have then opened someone else’s project into my screen so that I can see both projects at the same time. I have then tied the last activity of my project to the first activity of their project and then scheduled. Everything was fine and I could see the changes that I had made. However someone else in the office is looking at one of the projects I have imported and can see that his project has shifted due to the logic I have entered between the two projects. However the only way he can see what his project is tied into is buy clicking on the first activity and looking at the relationships. Here he can see that his first activity has a predecessor which is the last activity of the other project. Is there a way of making this more visible to him, rather than having to click on the first activity of his project. I.e. can we change something in P3e so that we can see the logic tie, or something more obvious?! Any help would be really useful!

Thanks in advance

Chris

Replies

Patricia Le Clainche
User offline. Last seen 9 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
To show and analyse dependancies between 2 projects I often use a "Inter-Project Links" project, where I work with the Primary Constraint.

Then, as soon as both projects are updated, I open both of these project and the "Inter-Project Links" one, I schedule.
Then I analyse if all dates are OK with the "Trace Logic" buttom in Activity view (that I have customize).

Chris Carey
Ha! I am the Chris at Sizewell! I will send you an internal e-mail tomorrow; however after speaking to people it appears we will not need this function however it would still be useful to understand how it works so I’d appreciate a look at the presentation!

Thanks!
Send me an email and I will give you a copy of a Powerpoint presentation.

Regards

Dave

PS if you are the Chris at Sizewell contact me on the Internal email system !!!!!
Chris Carey
That’s brilliant, the gateway WBS sounds very good, how do I construct one of them. I searched the help file, but can’t find any results.

Thanks in advance

Chris
Three options that I use are:

1 add a suffix to the activity ID to show dependency and delivery type activities

2 use an activity code to identify dependency and delivery inter project relationships

3 create a gateway WBS and manage all inter project links via the gateway

Hope this helps

Regards

Dave