Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Multiple MSDE Databases on one computer

1 reply [Last post]
JK Morris
User offline. Last seen 7 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
I need to have separate MSDE databases on the same computer, 1 for training/testing and 1 for real work.

Is it possible to set this up? If so, how? It seems to overwrite the current database when I try to do so.

Thanks,
John

Replies

Arthur Godbeer
User offline. Last seen 15 years 5 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
It is not that complicated. I’m using SQL Server myself, but it is no different with MSDE. The only reason why a database gets overwritten, is if you keep the same name.

Simply chose a different name (as opposed to the default PMDB) when you run the installation Wizard. You will then notice that the next two fields in that dialog (that list the Data and Log file addresses) change automatically to reflect the different name. (An earlier dialog will have asked you whether you want to include the sample data, or just create the database.)

Then when you login, select the ellipsis that is to the right of the database name. Use the option to create a new alias for the new database. (I use the same name as the database.) Thta’s a one-off step. For future logins all you need to do is to select the other database from that same dialog, if it is not the last database that you used.