Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Unmerge Projects

1 reply [Last post]
Ernani Garena
User offline. Last seen 12 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Hi all! I have merged 11 projects using Tools-->Project Utilities-->Merge successfully. What I want to do now is to unmerge each project and provide a mother project where I can made each project a sub-project. Can someone teach me how to do this? Thank you very much!

Replies

Safak Vural
User offline. Last seen 4 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Ernani,

I am going to write what i will do. Please feel free to use another methods:

-Create a new project, transfer all data about calendar, activity codes, project codes & resource codes(All dictionary) from existing file.
-I assume that you will have at least one activity code that you can seperate this subprojects.
-Use export and import to create subprojects.
-Tools-Project Utilities-Export from your main schedule.
-Add an export name as activity information
-Select all current and from format tab select the name and file type (I use .dbf because it is user friendly w/excel)
-Add an export name as relations
-Select successor relationships and from format tab select the name and file type (I use .dbf because it is user friendly w/excel)
-You will have 2 dbf files that includes all info about your schedule
-COPY the activity information .dbf as the number of subprojects you will use.
-For each subprojects delete the other projects activity information in .dbf by filtering the approtiate activity codes.
-Start producing Subprojects in your master schedule.
-For each of subproject import (Tools-Project Utilities-Import) associated .dbf files (one for activity info one for relations)
-After completing all subprojects you can transfer all reports layouts from your main schedule.
-You can seperate the project into subproject within hours but at last you will need to check every activity and relations one by one in order to avoid any miss.

****You must not use Data-Activity Codes-Activity ID(TAB)-Subproject, as a identicator of subproject in you activity id. You can add other activity codes in the process by creating in new project and copy to .dbf

Sorry for language fast-writing and no time to relook.

Regards,

Safak