Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Challenging tasks

5 replies [Last post]
Galing Galing
User offline. Last seen 16 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Replies

Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Getting "one activity" for the longest path is different from what you said earlier about getting “no activities.”

As the article that I referenced pointed out, longest path is susceptible to error due to constraints being used. It seems probable to me that your milestone at the end of your project is constrained to finish later than any other activity in your schedule. Remove the constraint and this should clear-up the longest path problem.

You don’t need software to solve your problems. Scheduling is a matter of understanding the underlying principles of CPM theory and mathematics and applying logic and reason. Good luck!
WAEL ELHAJJ
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Sir,
Thank you for the information in your lecture, I am very proud that I have met you as a professional. Yet the problem is not solved and only the finish milestone shows if I use longest path method through out the filter. I was not able to develop a software like you did and surely need a lot of experience to be able to perform such development, thus I ask you to send me the software if I may use it hopefully it will help.
1- The problem doesn’t show with projects that have target baselines, could it be the reason why this particular project doesn’t give the longest/critical path?
2- How is it possible for me in my situation to find the critical path and the shrinking possibilities on the baseline?
With greater respect and admiration,
Yours always,
Wael
Ronald Winter
User offline. Last seen 3 years 31 weeks ago. Offline
Be sure that you have first computed the critical path (’F9’ key), or you will not have a critical path to display.

P3’s implementation of the longest path has some faults that can give you odd results. You should always return at least once activity when filtering for the longest path, but the longest path may not always run from the data date to project end. The use of constraints is a major reason for this.

You may want to look at a paper that I authored some time ago on this subject titled, "Longest Path." It is posted with other papers of mine at http://ronwinterconsulting.com/published.htm. Good luck!
WAEL ELHAJJ
User offline. Last seen 1 year 42 weeks ago. Offline
hello johny keefak?
i ahev a challenging task, at least for me as a beginner i assume , daye3 bishakel mish tabee3eh... it is a matter over critical path , as i filter my project using longest path eq yes i get no activities . is that normal or something wrong is happening.
could it be that a baseline schedule does not have a critical path?
and finaly how could i check the probability of shrinking the schedule after finding the critical path.?
thanks alot and 3an jad indeed
Johny Kesserwany
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Indeed !!!!