Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Transferring Layouts between projects

3 replies [Last post]
Bryan Eaton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I know you can transfer individual layouts, reports, graphics etc between projects - one at a time. Also you can overwrite the whole lot. Is it possible to select a number of them to transfer?

I have tried looking in batch processing, which mentions the xxxxlay.p3 file and xxxxrep.p3, but no instruction on what to do with it... maybe there is a better way?

many thanks for help in advance.

Bryan

Replies

James Barnes
User offline. Last seen 1 year 16 weeks ago. Offline
Bryan

I don’t think you can. I’ve only ever managed to reansfer one at a time.

ODBC dosn’t give you access to such things.

The only other thing I can think of is to do the following;

Say you have 2 projects; POLD and PNEW

- Make a copy of POLD (that the layouts are in at the moment) using the copy project utility, which will allow you to change the project name. Set the project name to PCPY.
- Delete all teh activities in PCPY.
- Transfer the activity code structure from PNEW into PCPY (may not be necessary if the structure in PNEW and POLD are identical.)
- Transfer the Resource and cost account libraries, unless the POLD ones are the ones you actually want of course.
- Copy the activities from PNEW into PCPY. You can use copy/paste if it’s only a few hundred, even a few thousand activities, or use DBF Export / Import if you have 000s.if you use DBF, you will need to do 2 sets iof export/import, one for activities (including Resources) and one for successor relationships. Copy/paste will bring it all over in one go

PCPY is now your new plan, with the activities from PNEW and the layouts from POLD

Needless to say, make a full set of backups before trying this, just incase it all goes South.
Bryan Eaton
User offline. Last seen 8 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
That lets you transfer only one layout at a time - I want to be able to select a multiple number - say 25 or more at a time from one project into my current project.
Frederic Fasquelle
User offline. Last seen 1 year 22 weeks ago. Offline
Easy way is to use P3 menu.
Open your current project where you want to import layout.
Select in P3 menu VIEW > LAYOUT > Transfer and select the layout you want to transfer.