Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Understanding an existing program fast

16 replies [Last post]
Jerry Lan
User offline. Last seen 10 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Hi united planners!
Do you guys have any tricks to understand a P3 program done by someone else fast and sound like an expert in minutes if not days?(the relationship links can cause quite a web). Maybe implement your own WBS, own language, use log records,etc?

Regards,
Jerry

Replies

Fannie CHOW
User offline. Last seen 6 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
hi, Jerry,

I will Click F9 on pulldown menu when I got a program from someone at first time. After click, it will generate a briefly report which includes project start date and completion date or impose completion date, number of activities of programme, no of activities of longer path bla bla..........

After that, I’ll make critical analysis filter and go into details of programme. A rude picture of programme would form.

Of course, other things such as BQ, drawings and specification are helpful to understand the project.

Hope it’s helpful.

Cheers,
Fannie

Reynaldo Y. Calay...
User offline. Last seen 13 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
hi guys!

i gebneral agree with ashraf......
look at plans to see the project as a whole.

then go to BOQ to see the scope.....

after this try to imagine on how this ptoject will be done....

then get all scope methodologies......since you are new in this field...... to get the feel on how you it would really be done(project).....

then investiagte on the programme........ try to study the activity coding system, WBS, etc.

hope this helps c",)

John Lawson
User offline. Last seen 11 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jerry

Never mind looking at photographs - get your boots and hard hat on and get onto the site.

Hopefully with the assisatance of a planner, engineer or supervisor and "walk the job", and ask questions.

Then you will get a real feel for the job and plan etc.

Regards

John
Jerry Lan
These are all very good advice which have been helpful. I will add that looking at photographs will be helpful if anyone want to understand a program fast.
ashraf alawady
User offline. Last seen 10 years 4 days ago. Offline
You have to look at the following:-

*Scope of work and the recap quantities as per the contract drawings.
*Work methodologies and, Method statement and work procedures.
*What is the proper logic, sequances and relations of the major activities in practical way and assign the predessoresand the successores for each activity.
*Use reasonable resources and production rates.
*Make general planning before going into details and use one crew only for each activity and check the completion date - if found not sufficient to complete the scope of works within the contractual period then increase the nos. of crews accordigly.
ruben quintal
User offline. Last seen 16 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
jerry,

try to focus first on the critical activities.
John Lawson
Hi,

Perhaps you could start your move into the Oil and gas Industry by trying to get an understanding of the various terms that are used.

Try typing into Google "Oil Gas Terminology", the result will keep you busy for a while and hopefully give you the words that you need for this industry.

Regards

John
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 37 weeks ago. Offline
review the scope of work as per contract and use the filter in your program.
Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jerry,

Talk with the experts of your new industry. Experts meaning engineers, technicians, foremen etc. Never start talking with the management staff if you want to learn quickly the rudiments of your new industry. Management and contractual issues is not that different to most industries.

This is based from my own experience.

Se
Peter Doe
User offline. Last seen 17 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Maybe transformation from traffic to oil and gas could need time to understand the working procedures, because lots of overlapped steps exist in oil engineering projects.
I lack of P3 experience, while I am familiar with oil industry. another kind of embarrassment---how to be proficiency in a short time?

BR
Peter
John Lawson
Hi,

I often find if you print the Plan out in say barchart format the sequence of the work can easily be identified. If its a small project try ploting the network out on an AO priter/plotter. If their is a Taget Plan, print that out as well, that should give the original sequence.

Try differant level of detail, but expect to use activity level, in which case have the logic printed out on the barchart.

You may have to do some work on the activity codes to get a meaninful barchart, all depends on how the plan has been set up.

You should include the following fields: Preceeding & Succeding activities.

Once you have a "feel" for the sequenece, you will have to try and understand the reason for any logic, negative lags, posative lags, thats when it gets interesting.

regards

John

Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Jerry

Adding to what the other guys have suggested you may also look at the work methodologies & drawings to give some visual to your program... it is true that jumping from one industry to another is quite difficult but it proves to be a challenge...

Cheers!
Larry Bjorn
User offline. Last seen 11 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Jerry,

Try starting with making an Outline programme – Look at the big picture before getting into the details.

Regards,
Larry
Jerry Lan
Thanks Christian!

Just to clarify. I have experience in using P3 (5 yrs). However, I have just jumped from construction (train system) to oil and gas. I meant understanding the site sequence of work rapidly from the program. one activity can have relationships with many successors and this spread out indefinitely. And the successors as well can have many predecessors.

Jerry
Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jerry,

Understanding the programming normalymeans undestand the thinking, the strategie that some one might have thought in order to acomplish a certain project.

Then how that person implemented that in P3.

For me it would take a lot more that a few days and I would start by knowing the project, the contract, etc.

In order to gain time better is allways to get in touch with author of previous plan.

BR
JMFrade
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Jerry

I don’t think that there is a one-day learning trick out in the market to help you become an instant P3 expert. It takes time, effort, and experience to become one... even the experts started as a newbies before...

Cheers!