Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Primavera -Resource constrained schedule

1 reply [Last post]
Renju M
User offline. Last seen 11 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear fellow members,

We are doing certain Turnkey projects.

One of the serious issues I am facing is to produce a resource driven schedule.

2 days ago my manager asked me to make a resource driven schedule for Power Cable laying works in which Kilometers of Cable will be laid in specially arranged trenches.

My question is,

I have a few activities called cable laying. One of the key predecessor activities is Cable Delivery from a foreign country.

Let the activities as below,

Activities Duration Budg.Qty

1.Cable Delivery Lot-1 1 day 2.5Km
2.Cable Laying -1 5 0.9 Km FS-1
3.Cable Laying-2 5 0.9 Km FS-2,1
4.Cable Laying -3 5 0.9 Km FS 3,1

I need to assign the Resource called “Cable-Lot 1” to the first activity (No.1) as driving with a Budgeted Qty of 2.5 KM. What should be the normal and maximum limit in the resource definition?

Please guide me, How can I use the same resource for the following 3 activities.

More precisely, I have already assigned the resource to the first activity with B.Q. I want to use the 2.5 KM Cable for the following 3 activities with BQ of 0.9 Kms each.

How can I assign the same resource to these activities as driving?. How will the primavera identify the total 2.5 KM cables are for the following 3 activities?

Because you can see, the total estimated qty for 3 cable laying activities is 2.7 KM.How will the primavera identify the need of excess qty in order to schedule the 3rd activity.?

With this data how can I make a sample resource driven schedule with proper resource assignment?

I hope you understand my question. Please find attached the sample file which I made in primavera.I was getting difficulty doing the resource assignment including inputting the budgeted quantities.P3 was not accepting the values.when I tried to schedule it, activity durations became zero for one or two activities.

Kindly kelp me.

Many thanks

Renju

Replies

Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
primavera can’t identify the excess qty on its own, but you can assign the 2.5km to a custom data items(user defined variable) and try to summarize the BQ of the 3 related activities and then you can find variation between the two using global change or by anyother simple method.

by the bye? where is the attached file? you can’t attach anything to this forum?. if you want to get clarify anything send the file to plannerdaya@yahoo.com and inform me via private message about the file.