Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Troubleshooting with P3

8 replies [Last post]
Rowena Tenbroek
User offline. Last seen 18 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I have recently been updating the schedule for the project and several activities were changed. After leveling the resources the total float for the project went from -60 to -120. What are some ways to figure out where the problems in logic lie?

Replies

Eliza Cote
User offline. Last seen 13 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Rowena -

Normally I set up a layout sorted by total float (ascending). Then, as already suggested, I start at the latest item and step up through the driving predecessors - looking at the relationships to make certain they make sense. If anything is incorrect or can be adjusted, I make the changes and then reschedule.
Then if you reorganize you will get the new "worst case" total float. I repeat this until the float path makes sense.
At that time, if it is still negative, you need to look for ways to recover the time.

Hope this helps.
EC
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
But only if this reflects reality...

For example: I dare say there are a number of our esteemed colleagues working on the 2012 Olympic Build in London. I’m hoping that they’re not already showing negative float in their Plans, but if they were, this could be solved IN THE SOFTWARE by changing the must finish by date.

... but people will be really miffed when it’s time to light the flame and there’s a lot of scaffolding and no seats in the Stadium and a little voice is heard in in the Project office " ...no, really, it’s ok.... the plan says we’ve still got 10 days float..."

Not being funny, or holding egg-sucking lessons, but please, before you change the end date, make sure it can be moved.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Rowena

Just to add my thought, you could also try to check in the File>Project Overview then remove the date in the "Must finish by" field and reschedule it again...

HTH..

Christian
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 35 weeks ago. Offline
Rowena,

On the less optimistic side, there is always the possibility that there’s nothing wrong with the logic at all.

You could simply have too few resources to get the job done in the time allocated.

Having investigated using the methods quoted above (my personal preference would be to trawl back from the close out activities, verifying the driving relationships - shown by an asterisk ’*’ in the Predecessors box); the next step really depends on the nature of the Project, and your familiarity with it’s field (i.e. whether you have enough in depth knowledge to be changing relationships or durations).

I currently work in the Nuclear Sector and would always discuss any potential changes with either the PM or Nominated Engineer, as my technical experience is outside the industry. If I were on an IT Project, I’d be a little more comfortable, perhaps putting together a ’Proposed’ Plan to be Peer reviewed by the Senior Members of the Project team to ensure no glaring mistakes.

I guess what I’m trying to get across is, once you’ve investigated what is driving your Critical Path, how you fix it, very much depends on your project and circumstances.

Sorry about the ramble, good luck :o)

Rowena Tenbroek
User offline. Last seen 18 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks for everyone’s help. I’ll see how everything goes. Rowena
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Rowena,

You try PERT view, go to cosmic.

Cheers,

Charlie
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Check finish date before and after leveling. If after leveling finish date go beyond the before leveling finish date, add more resources to reduce the negative float and to expedite the work.

Regards.
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Try filtering out the activties with negative float and If there are a large number of activties with negative float search for the one that are around -120. Open columns for predecessor and successors and search in reverse order i.e. from project finish to DD.

I hope it would help...

Regards
Rashid