Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating Dictionaries using Project.xls & Windows

7 replies [Last post]
Alex Costaras
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Can anyone give any suggestions on how to get Project.xls to work with Windows XP, or have a XP compatible version as everytime I try and run it I get a message Exiting macros and then the system hangs

Replies

MK TSE
User offline. Last seen 4 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
My experience on RA with/without launching P3.

RA function well without launching P3.
Instead, if P3 is launched, the Excel still can be open and function. However, don’t run any RA since both Excel and P3 will be corrupted. Re-boot is recommended.
Andy Warner
User offline. Last seen 7 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hello Frank,
I reckon that you are thinking along the right lines...
Although I haven’t got ’Exclusive’ checked, I do work, within our multi-user environment, with the ExclForActIDEdit=0 option in my P3.ini file so that I can update activity numbers without having to exclude my colleagues.
Like I said previously, projectmod.xls works fine if I don’t have P3 running, however I get error messages of "50111 error : file not found" followed by "Loading project failed! Script ending" while attempting to ’Get’ if it is running. When I have time I’ll try running with the exclusive edit flag set to one and try again to see if that allows concurrent running. It’s just a pain rather than a showstopper... thanx for your time,
Best regs,
Andy.
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Andy,

Happy to try and help but need to know what happens when P3 is running and what happenes when its not.

Make sure you have not checked the exclusive checkbox.

Frank

Andy Warner
User offline. Last seen 7 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
How do Alex,
Well your received advice works for me as I cannot have Project.xls AND P3 running at one and the same time here in sunny Brentford!....
Best regs,
Andy.
Alex Costaras
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Frank that did the trick - the secret was having P3 running - someone had told me NOT to have it running. Just goes to show not all advice is good!
Frank Borcherdt
Alex,

Reread your post and re-ran with Project.xls...same result works AOK....Excel does prompt to enable macros and perhaps your security settings in Excel are set to High.

Try Excel menu items Tools, Macro, Security and change the setting to Medium (prompt each time). You need to exit Excel and re-load....hopefully it will now ask if you want to enable the macros when loading Project.xls and you must say yes if you want it to run.

HTH
Frank Borcherdt
Alex,

I am running P3 3.1 SP3 on Windows XP Pro Sp2 with all the critical patches applied. I have the ODBC drivers installed but these should not be required.

Loaded APEX project into P3 and ran activity.xls straight from P3 CD (in Ra\Samples\EXCEL folder). Keyed in username and password clicked GetActivities...prompted for Project Group (chose APEX) allowed selection of Project (ignored and cliked OK) asked to filter by date (clicked cancel to ignore) and it retrieved activities.

Make sure P3 is running in background before you try so Btrieve programs are running.

Not an XP problem.

HTH