Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

SF

4 replies [Last post]
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear All,

I have found that SF is very important in Resource Constrained scheduling though I wonder as to why there is a lot of criticism about it.

What are your comments on that considering the modeling of subgrade operation where all activties can work as FS other than water sprinkling and rolling as sprinkling can only be done when the rolling can be started right after it.

Best Regards
Rashid Iqbal

Replies

Eiman Chebaro
User offline. Last seen 13 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Rashid,
I am intrested in obtaining the PDF file also, please send it to achebaro@qualitynet.net

Thanks

Eiman Chebaro
X Planner
User offline. Last seen 8 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
DEAR RASHID,

I WONDER IF U CAN SEND THIS PDF FILE FOR ME,
THAT WILL BE VERY NICE.

MY EMAIL : TOPGUNN77@HOTMAIL.COM

REGARDS,

MEDO
Rashid Iqbal
User offline. Last seen 17 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks Frank.

I totally agree that Zero Free Float is very good and quite logical though it works good in schedules that do not require resource levelling. Try it with resource levelling and you would see that ’sprinkling’ will not tail follow ’rolling’.

If you know as to how i can attach a pdf with this forum posting, kindly let me know and i will attach a sample which would give you a better idea of what i am trying to say.

Best Regards
Rashid Iqbal
Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
I would use a FS with ZFF (as late as possible) constraint rather than a SF. Due to the short activity durations in your example you are unlikely to experience the issues encountered when activities are executed out of sequence, the schedule is updated to reflect what’s happened and you get illogical dates on these activities. Having helped several planners resolve this I am not a big fan of SF.