Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

open file

12 replies [Last post]
Jaroslava Sedrlova
User offline. Last seen 17 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hi. When I want to open file it says: "activity limit exceeded". How can I solve this problem? Thank you

Replies

Frank Borcherdt
User offline. Last seen 7 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Clarification on some points below:-

Jaroslava Sedrlova wrote:-My friend sent me project in pdf. There is no way to open a pdf as a workable schedule….you will need to get a PRX file…ask for a compressed backup or re-enter the data.

Alexandre Faulx-Briole and Sukumaran Subaramaniyan made good suggestions on breaking up the schedule however be careful.

With Alexandre’s method you will need to review the downstream constraints each time you reschedule one of the sections of the schedule.

With Sukumaran’s method you should break it so the relationships all flow one way ie from project 1 to project 2 then onto project 3 as you can then schedule the project in sequence once and the correct dates will be calculated. The moment you go back to an earlier project you would need to reschedule that project in the correct sequence to get valid dates on all activities.

Hope this helps.
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
Ask your friend forward to you the back up PRX file. You do not need to redo the schedule, just restore and work on it.

Check whether the message is still popping out. If yes, you split the schedule to a smaller workpackages and create a project group template.

Using project group template copy the smaller workpackages as a subproject and interlink the related activities. With project group you can manage all the workpackages simultaneously and efficiently. This might help you to solve the problem.

For more info go to help and read through the Project Groups.

Regards.
kamran hazini
User offline. Last seen 12 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Another thing is that P3 has limitation for showing activities more than 32000 and it recommends applying filters to select group of activities. Please make sure this is not your case.
Jaroslava Sedrlova
Hi.
I don’t think that it’s my case. The project has less than 200 activities. My friend sent me project in pdf. I can see the result but I can’t see information what I need for my bachelor
work.
If anybody can help me I will be very happy.
Have a nice day.
Jaroslava Sedrlova
Hi.
Can anybody do it for me, please? Make smaller workpackages?
Will information about precedessor be the same? Actually I need only this information from the file.
Thank you.

My number is 9791.
Jaroslava Sedrlova
Hi.
You were right. I need license. I need just open one file. Is there any other chance how I can do it without license?
Anyway. Thank you.
Jarka
Sukumaran Subaram...
User offline. Last seen 9 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: GPC Malaysia
I’m using the license copy. My project activities have exceeded 23,000. Hence with the license programme I’m having the same problem as Jaroslava.

May be it is an installation problem. If you got the CD try to re-install with full installation.

Regards.
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Jaroslava, It should be demo version which you are using, hence you have to buy a P3 with license, then you can work well. Cheers!!! Daya
Andrew Podolny
User offline. Last seen 1 year 12 weeks ago. Offline
Hi there.
Probably it’s mere evaluation version of P3.