Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Stitch 2 Projects

7 replies [Last post]
Rajeev Kumar
User offline. Last seen 9 years 32 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
What is the best way to stitch two or more projects with the same WBS coding, same Activity coding and resource dictionaries, but containing different activities?

Replies

Rajeev Kumar
Thanx everybody.

Would the "update target" feature help me best in the situation? All the 10 characters of the Activity ID is already used, hence the sub project feature is out of question.

Any other suggestion?
Paul Harris
User offline. Last seen 1 year 27 weeks ago. Offline
If you are prepared to revise your activity ID codes then I think the best option is to create one sub project for each contractor and check the schedules out and email them to each contractor. This way they are unable to change the coding dictionaries, calendars and some other values which make difficult to merge sub projects into projects, but may add values to a dictionaries. They may then update, status & change the schedule and send back to you and you will be able to check them in with a minimum of problems.

I suggest you do a trial with a couple of small subprojects, check them out edit them and check them back in.

A checkout subproject will remember any predecessors created at project level between subprojects when they are scheduled which is an interesting feature.

Paul E Harris
Eastwood Harris Pty Ltd, Melbourne, Australia
Planning and Scheduling Book Publishers, Training & Consulting
www.eh.com.au
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 45 weeks ago. Offline
The best method, is to use the sub-project feature. I would recommend that you look at your current activity ID structure and release 2 characters for the Sub Proj ID.

Alternatively, you could export the details from the individual plans and import them into your overall plan, once for activity details and again for relationships.

HTH
Rajeev Kumar
Thanx for prompt response

I am afraid my question was misunderstood.My project has 5 different co-contractors. I have given them a blank template file with all the required activity codes, wbs codes, resources dictionary and activity id coding criteria and calendars. When they sent me their programs what is the best way I can join/intergrate them into one project. I do not want to use the sub-project feature as I donot have anymore space in the activity ids.

I hope I am clear enough?
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rajeev,

We can’t duplicate same activity coding in a single project, but we can create the same activity code in 3 different projects, make another 2 projects as a target schedules to the 3rd project and you can display all the bars in one area. bye the bye may i know your real intention of creating these things in one project.

Regards

Daya
Rajeev Kumar
Thanx, but I would like to make it one single project
Dayanidhi Dhandapany
User offline. Last seen 3 years 26 weeks ago. Offline
create two different projects to describe the two different activities with same wbs/activity codings and then may be you can use interproject relationship to accomplish your requirements in another project(make these two projects as your target schedule in the current project).