Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P3 to Excel Template Reports

5 replies [Last post]
Gary Bell
User offline. Last seen 9 years 14 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I am a Project Planner with nearly 5 years experience, and I have recently taken a position in a company using P3. The project is fairly infant and the project reporting is almost non-existant. I understand that many planners using this tool prefer to export the data and create various reports (e.g. SPI, CPI, etc) using Excel.

1. What are the most useful reports to use directly from P3?

2. Has anyone created any useful templates in excel, so I can adapt/use them for my own purpose?

I would be very grateful if anyone could throw some light on this subject.

Replies

Erik Jonker
User offline. Last seen 5 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Gary,

I would suggest that you get to grips with the standard graphic reports in P3 first.

Once you know the graphic reports, you can start to create custom reports and pull it into Excel.

Regards

Erik
Luca Basile
User offline. Last seen 9 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Exporting outside P3, is better using the dbf format, also if you will organize your data with excel.
Exporting in wk1 you can find with big surprise that all the data were not exported successfully.
There is a limitation in 1024 rows (including one heading row).

Exporting with ODBC is great for small schedule, or you can encore in an out of time message.
More over I had always problems with the P3 ODBC, as look like P3 is not able to replicate completely the its own databases. Having problem after to link the tables.

Primavera has also nice tools like RA engine and Report maker or writer that may be another solution.

Alex Wong
User offline. Last seen 11 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: TILOS
Hi

I did found P3 can produce some very useful report like
S-Curve with EV
Resource Histogram in $ & Hrs

for the basic operation of Project

Alex :)
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Gary,

IMHO one of the major drawbacks of P3 is the quality of presentation of reports available. The reason people export data to Excel is to provide the presentation that is common place these days. The actual data is no different, but the presentation of the data is always a useful means toward acceptance.

There are several methods of exporting data to Excel (or Access), from within P3 you can export info to Excel readable files (Lotus) or export to DBF files that can be read by Access.

Easiest method is to copy & paste directly.

There are some reports which provide output to Excel which can be then used for further processing (Tools, Tabular Reports, Resouce, Loading) gives the distribution of Quantity over time (there is an equivalent one for cost)but with large numbers (I think the field limit is 10 characters) I have noticed some inaccuracies in the transfer.

HTH
Steven Oliver
User offline. Last seen 11 years 40 weeks ago. Offline
Gary,

IMHO one of the major drawbacks of P3 is the quality of presentation of reports available. The reason people export data to Excel is to provide the presentation that is common place these days. The actual data is no different, but the presentation of the data is always a useful means toward acceptance.

There are several methods of exporting data to Excel (or Access), from within P3 you can export info to Excel readable files (Lotus) or export to DBF files that can be read by Access.

Easiest method is to copy & paste directly.

There are some reports which provide output to Excel which can be then used for further processing (Tools, Tabular Reports, Resouce, Loading) gives the distribution of Quantity over time (there is an equivalent one for cost)

HTH