Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Build you project using p3Batch(utility program)

4 replies [Last post]
Ali Hamouda
User offline. Last seen 8 years 13 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
any one have Idea about batch program(utility programe installed within P3). any one used this program before,I know it's used to build your project quick and fastr than the original Interface of P3 do any one have any other better way for building the projects quick and fast. Thanks Ali

Replies

Jorge Taguinod
User offline. Last seen 2 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Just one of the points of view out there...

My general rule would be this:
1. If it can be done via Import/Export, then do it there.
2. If it cant, then use Batch.

Data that cant Imported/Exported are the ones in the Dictionaries (e.g., Activity Codes Dictionary, Resource Dictionary, Cost Accoutns Dictionary, etc.)

One great thing about Batch is that you can use it to re-build corrupted P3 files. It works better than the Fix program that ships with P3.

By the way, a Batch Manual can be found in the P3 CD.

Jorge
Nilam Patel
User offline. Last seen 18 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Batch is very useful in case you want to build and maintain huge master database (Activity codes, resource directory etc). You need to prepare excel file which can convert data into batch file. But, once done it can save lot of time.
Peter Johnson
User offline. Last seen 8 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
P3batch is a bit fiddly for building up a project - importing wk1 files is easier P3batch is an excellent and very powerful tool though We use p3batch a lot in claim evaluation situations where be build up a series of versions of a project at different stages of completion and before and after delay events (this method is called "Time-impact analysis". When the series of projects has been made we use p3 batch to export the same information (completion dates, resource durations etc.) from all of the projects. We have used this for sets of up to 3000 networks with more than 10,000 activities in each network
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
I usually deal with schedules between 1,000 and 15,000 activities. I develop all my schedules in Excel and then I import them into P3. ID, activity description and duration are done in Excel. The rest of the information is developed right within P3. Part of this second step is done using Global Change. Hope this helps