Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Fundamental understanding of P6 date fields

5 replies [Last post]
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
I asked the question in Linkedin of schedulers - do you really understand what the software is doing wrt to date fields when you press F9? No response, so i thought i'd asked it here as well. Lets start with explaing es, ls, ps and ef lf and pf calculated date fields.

Replies

Bhavinbhai Lakhani
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello Peter,

1. ES: The Early Start date of an activity is the earliest point in time when the activity can logically begin based on its predecessors and any constraints.

2. LS: The Late Start date of an activity is the latest point in time by which an activity must start to avoid delaying the project finish date.

3. EF: The Early Finish date of an activity is the earliest point in time when the activity can logically be completed based on its ES and duration.

4. LF: The Late Finish date of an activity is the latest point in time by which an activity must finish to avoid delaying the project finish date.

5. PS: The Planned Start date of an activity is often user-defined and represents the initially planned or baseline start date for the activity.

6. PF: The Planned Finish date of an activity is user-defined and represents the initially planned or baseline finish date for the activity.

Critical Path: Activities that have zero float (difference between LF and EF, or LS and ES) are on the critical path. The critical path determines the minimum project duration and any delay in critical path activities will directly delay the project finish date.

These date fields (ES, LS, PS, EF, LF, PF) are fundamental in project scheduling software as they provide crucial information about activity timing, dependencies, flexibility, and criticality. Understanding how these fields are calculated and their significance helps schedulers in managing and controlling project schedules effectively.

Thanks,

david kelly
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 2 days ago. Offline
Well, Peter, given that I have been answering questions about it for 20 years, I suspect many planners using P6 have not done their homework. There are some interesting things P6 does with Dates. I remember a forensic job I had, where an extra 100k+ manhours appeared one month, but the extra manhours had planned dates of three months previously. This demonstrated to us that the plan had been ‘forked’, and the contractor was providing their client with a plan missing those hours for three months. When someone added the extra work, it was given an Actual Start date in the past, but the planned dates were held at the Data Date when the activities were added.
Peter Holroyd
User offline. Last seen 6 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

David, thanks for ref paper (hadn't come across  this paper only the Understanding P6 Dates one) - says everything and more. Do you thing P6 users understand any of this?

I first came across these problems in the late 90's when trying to match a subcontractor's stand alone P6 version with a company system one. They kept giving different dates even though we had agreed major default settings. We realised that to match systems you had to specify every setting that P6 had even if we were sure that the the setting had no effect on the F9 analysis.

david kelly
Tried to answer this already. I can't think of anything to add to this: https://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/Understanding_P6_Dates.pdf Excellent.
david kelly
Tried to answer this already. I can't think of anything to add to this: https://www.ronwinterconsulting.com/Understanding_P6_Dates.pdf Excellent.