Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

4D Planning Software

3 replies [Last post]
Scott Griffin
User offline. Last seen 3 years 21 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Afternoon all,

Looking for a bit of advice regarding 4d planning software, Not sure what thread to put this is.

I am a  construction planner currently working for a tier 1 Contractor in the UK , we are looking to use a current project as an exemplar to see what BIM software we can use and the benefits we can get out of it.

Whatever software is deemed successful/useful we would then look to roll it out company wide for all future projects.  

I am currently tasked with presenting a businesscase for new 4d planning software. I am looking for any suggestions.

I have used a couple different softwares in the past but would like to see some opinions on current software.

I would be looking to use it for live projects and at the bidding stage. So a rough high level list of what I am looking for is:

• Logistics (Being able to add Hoardings, cranes, MEWPS, site establishment, scaffold etc. )
  • Progress ( being able to mark up a live model. Show actual v planned or what if scenarios)
  • Presentations ( being able to show short amination and produce good quality slides)
  •  Being able to use it for Quantification (Such as m3 of concrete for a specific section or pour)
  • Being able to import maps or locations to sit the building in a real space.
  • The ability to possibly give it a high render for client presentations

We currently mainly use Asta Power Project but also primavera P6 and Microsoft project when required. So compatibility to import programmes from these software’s would be useful.

Any suggestions or opinions are most welcome,

Thanks in advance

Replies

Se de Leon
User offline. Last seen 3 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
  • I have extensive experience in preparing 4D schedule in bidding and for construction 4D schedules using synchro and ms project.  In 4D schedule, same as preparing a schedule, the more visualization you want to see in 4D schedule, the more tasks you need in your schedule.  All the bullet point requirements you listed down are all can be done with synchro.
Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 47 weeks ago. Offline

Definitely the first to check would be Synchro Pro. Synchro's strong suits would be their emphasis on 4D planning e.g they have a proper CPM engine with P6 / MPP / Asta schedule integration. Also the ease of use due to their usage of appearance profiles to show building sequences etc. They were acquired by Bentley Systems a couple of years back - so there are lots of synergies with Bentley's other software offerings e.g. Microstation, OpenRoads. Synchro Pro would be able to produce all of the above you requested. As for high render Synchro is already trying to integrate with Unreal engine so that says a lot. 

You could also try out the sophisticated Bexel Manager, which focuses more on offering the full 4D, 5D, and 6D BIM integration.

Santosh Bhat
User offline. Last seen 13 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

G'day Scott, not a 4d expert myself, but couple of links/resources that might help:

LinkedIn 4D Planning Group: 4D Construction Group | Groups | LinkedIn

and their associated website The 4D Construction Group | Home