Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Alternatives to lags and dummy activities

3 replies [Last post]
Brian Walkin
User offline. Last seen 36 weeks 13 hours ago. Offline
Groups: None

I haven't seen a good answer to this in the general forum and would really like to know the accepted theory or best practice.

Example the engineering specification for a piece of equipment is available in M2, lets say it happens to be one of the first items to be designed. The procurement process means a purchase can be made in M4. The lead time is 4 months and so it will be available for delivery to site at M8. I only need to install that item in M16.

The client spec does not let me use leads and lags and the us of the "As late as possible" constraint should not be used. I dont think a "start after date" constraint is approriate.

What is the proper way to schedule this that isn't a work around.

Thanks

Brian.

Replies

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

add the activites that get you from engineering to installation

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Brian

Set up a sub chart and put the tasks and duration into a procurement cascade.

Then link the last task to your installation task - you will have some float availabl.

Best regards Mike Testro