Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Is CPM and float analysis over?

4 replies [Last post]
Danya Pearce
User offline. Last seen 3 years 24 weeks ago. Offline

Hi All

I had a debate with someone today about the value of CPM and float (as well as constraining the handover dates) and was wondering what my peers thought?

While 4D planning is first prize, my projects are not able to wait until a model is built (very fast track where I live) and while it looks snazzy, is there benefits to it? I understand it helps with claims and clash issues but does that mean CPM and resourcing is obsolete?

Its an interesting question to programme without a constraint, I use both CPM as well as a float analysis (losing float on the near critical and far critical items) plus resource histogrammes and levelling to do programmes as well as analyse programmes.

If the programme belongs to the contractor (as a lot of contracts are stating) and the programmer is not using CPM or constraints, how does a client get assurance the project will be completed in time?

From a personal stance, I prefer knowing in advance where the critical items will arise and that for me means CPM and resource histograms are still my main aspect of analysis. Are there new trends?

Awaiting your opinion with interest :)

Replies

Patrick Weaver
User offline. Last seen 6 hours 2 min ago. Offline
Groups: None

Two thoughts.

First see: http://mosaicprojects.wordpress.com/2016/11/26/the-future-of-project-controls/ to understand the problem

Then, if you are a PMI member sign up for their virtual conference on the 29th March to listen to my update on the blog-post - my session starts at around 3:40pm EDT:  https://mosaicprojects.wordpress.com/2017/02/28/free-exclusive-project-scheduling-virtual-event-for-pmi-members/

If you are not a PMI member - go to the blog after the 29th for an update. 

Pat. 

Robert Bell
User offline. Last seen 6 years 7 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Danya,

Could you elaborate on this for me? I have not used 4D planning tools before but I guess you are referring to Asta BIM? I thought this simply tied CAD type drawings to a regular schedule tool? In which case I don't see how having the 4D models would take away the need for durations, logic, a critical path etc?

If this is not the case, could you tell me how it works?

Thanks

Rob

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

If the programmer is not using CPM or constraints there is not real assurance that the project will be completed in time. That is the whole point of CPM its about logic durations and forecasting to a know end point.

Sure you can look at cash flow but the only thing that ties anything across a time elemet is the activities contained in the schedule. The more detail you have in the schedule the better you will be able to budget the costs over time.

Ferdinand Ancheta
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

I don't think so...how do u make a claim if no calculation made thru time and cost? to assist the claim is justifiable in terms of time this should be ensured that the project completion date is affected...of course if the activity is in the critical path.

Again, resourcing in schedule is also significant specifically if you know how it works with your resource requirement and how will you validate the cost of your schedule.

I think the issue nowadays is project controls is being manipulated from the financial perspective and not from a planning perspective. Sometimes earned value management is ignored. Anyway, that is only my opinion.