Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Monitoring and acting on delays

2 replies [Last post]
Sarah Smith
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Can anyone offer some guidance ?

I use ASTA and all my tasks are linked up from design through to delivery and installation. When there is a delay in design for example, that obviously has a knock on affect with the procurement, delivery etc.  What generally happens is i issue a report showing the variance to the PM's and because all the tasks are linked that delay shows all the way through so my reports all have a red priority on them. But installation may not be happening until 2016 so that 2016 task is not really in delay, but is being reported as such . Rather than sit down with me and advise how they plan to bring all the successor tasks back on track so i can adjust the programme to suit, it just gets left. So the programmes are not being used correctly and it is very frustrating. Is there anything that you do that i can implement?

I was wondering if i could use different baselines to report different areas or perhaps keep two programmes, one internal showing all the design, proc and Man tasks and one for the site work, but if i didnt link all the internal tasks to the install how could i monitor delay ? Im not sure what to do for the best.

Replies

Sarah Smith
User offline. Last seen 9 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

Thank you for your reply.

Is the 10 day lead lag purely to give me and the PM's time to act on it?

Im not sure what i have done wrong when setting up my programmes because when i switch on "show Criticle path" all tasks are criticle. Is it becuase i have linked up every task so when i reschedule they all show criticle?

Back on the main subject.. I have been trying to monitor tasks using buffer tasks rather than lead lags. I thought that way it wouldnt push out the successors and instead consume the buffer. (i have made my buffer tasks as long as possible, in effect making them ALAPS) which is sort of what you were saying to do. I can look at all the buffer tasks in a table and can monitor them.  Do you think this is a good solution to stopping tasks being pushed out ?

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Sarah - Welcome to planning planet.

You need to concentrate on the availbale float so that when a design delay uses up float and becomes close to critical then you should start warning people.

At the same time you should be giving designers the Drop Dead date where their design must be complete for procurement.

This is done by setting the "design complete" milestone to ALAP with a 10 working day lead lag to the start of procurement - it will always show critical and will always attract attention.

If you have a large and complex project you can set up a "Traffic Light" system in a column that is easy to filter and report on at summary level.

Hope that helps

Best regards

Mike Testro

BTW I am pleased to note that you are using Asta as it should be done.