Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Controlling Contractor's Schedules

7 replies [Last post]
Ahmad AbdRabou
User offline. Last seen 2 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello, I hope I'm posting in the right section.

My question is, How do I control Contractor schedule as a consultant, while I should do cost control on myself (as consultant) for the same project?

If I speak my mind, I'd say, I can do one of the following:

1- Using Primavera P6, I'd make all in one project, then WBS would look like:

1-Project xxx

1.1-Engineering (By Head Office)

1.2-Project Management (By supplied personnel to working site)

1.3-Construction (Where all project products are listed)

2- Using Primavera P6, I'd make 2 sparate projects, one for Consultant work, and the other for Contractor work.

3- Start using Primavera Contract Management for contractor work, and Primavera P6 for Consultant work.

Please advise, thanks in advance.

Ahmad Abdrabou.

Replies

Ahmad AbdRabou

Fair enough, thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate.

Anthony Obasi
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Ahmad,

Your 1st question, is this a common practice? I have not done any research to confirm this is best practice. But what i can say is, this is not about best practice (If it exists for this situation, fine). What matters more is what the client wants and what is used within the contarcting organisation.

Secondly, P6 allows you to link two projects, as one is a sub-project, unfortunately I cannot write how this can be done, as it would be time consuming

Ahmad AbdRabou

dear Anthony Obasi,

Thanks a lot for your reply, i appreciated it much.

according to what you say, i've to make 2 primavera projects, one for controlling contractor schedule, and the other for my consultant office services. did i put it correctly?

if so, i've 2 questions, if you may

1- is that a common practice?

2- does primavera allow me to link between the 2 projects, (i.e. FF relationship between consultant supervision services (P1) and contractor project handover milestone (P2)

Thanks again,

Ahmad Abdrabou

Anthony Obasi
User offline. Last seen 50 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Ahmad,

I believe your key question is controlling a contractor schedule? In other to control the overall schedule it is appropariate to have all the schedule under one project, depending on how large the project is, your contractor schedule obviously will be a separate project - still sitting under the main project. Controlling the schedule requires keeping tab on the progress of the project and at the same time have a robust change control for the project.

Hope this helps.

Arslan Shahid
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Well you need to define the scope into WBS clearly and then monitor them on the same project. Thanks

Ahmad AbdRabou

Dear Arslan Shahid,

Thanks for your reply.

Let say that I want to organized my mind about Planning & Cost Control for construction projects as consultant.

Meaning, I need to monitor Expenses & Incomes regarding to consultancy services. Also to monitor contractor Progress & Invoices on the construction schedule, all for the same project.

If you need more explanation please ask.

Arslan Shahid
User offline. Last seen 9 years 8 weeks ago. Offline

Dear Ahmad AbdRabou,

You want to make schedule or you want to control it ? Please explain your question more.