Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Schedule assumptions register

3 replies [Last post]
Dinesh Kumar
User offline. Last seen 4 years 51 weeks ago. Offline

Hi there,

I've been asked to create the schedule assumptions register on a stock yard project we are going to build in the near future. I got the list of the assumptions and constraints on the project schedule and would like to present it in a neat format. May I request the great planners out there to forward me a template (dindeep@gmail.com) if you have prepared something similar in the past? It would of great help, I may also use that as a reference guide to check if I missed any important points that need to be considered while building a P6 schedule for such projects. 

Kind regards,

Dinesh

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 hours 22 min ago. Offline

Do not re-write The Bible, it is a long book.  Most assumptions are implicit on the schedule and should always be easily referenced within the schedule file.  If you write an encyclopedia eventually will be lost no one at the site will look at it later on.  Schedules are dynamic and visibility shall always be there.

There are things that should be visible on your schedule and therefore no need to write a novel about it.

·         Activities listing, duration and logic is not needed as they are always visible on your schedule.

·         What many miss to disclose is what assumptions were used to determine the duration.  How can you understand Activity 1 [can be any name] takes 10 days without showing the assumptions to get this duration?  Mere cost loading and resource loading is not enough if your software do not disclose volume of work.   Activity durations are based on a given volume of work and resource productivities. If your software does not have volume of work functionality then use your own fields to record volume of work for each activity and make visible the assumptions used to determine activity duration.  When I see a schedule without volumes of work and resource loading I cannot fully understand it, there is not enough information. 

·         Preferential links shall be commented under the links table, I use a field of my own to identify and filter for preferential links. Preferential links might be used to control some planned order of activities as well as use of non-renewable resources when your software does not provide for it.  A common non-renewable resource can be amount of form material to be used. If your software does not provides you with access to the links table then you shall include them on your assumptions register.

·         If you are in need to use constraints other than contractual then create a user defined field on the activities table to identify and explain use of constraints.

There are things that are not visible on a schedule and must be documented; this shall not be a long document that can be embedded as a note on the project properties.

·         Preferential logic shall be disclosed, especially when you force your schedule substituting preferential logic rather than using priorities.  You shall include here the preferential logic even if using priorities.

·         Preferential links shall be commented under the links table, I use a field of my own to identify and filter for preferential links.  If your software does not provides you with access to the links table then you shall include them here.

·         Schedule buffers shall be included here unless implemented using a visible activity. I usually use a Hammock to represent my buffers and a note under the buffer will provide the required visibility.

·         If your job might be impacted by seasonal climate and you do not model the impact of seasons within your schedule you shall make it clear here that specific activities might be impacted by changes in scheduled season an provide some clues as to how can be affected.

As soon as you click on an activity you shall be able to track all assumptions, if not found on the activities table then follow the links to the activity on the links table, 99% of the assumptions shall be there, a mere 1% shall be on the general comments of the project properties.

I use Spider Project but the procedure shall be similar with any software. If you make your assumption visible on your schedule file and adjust them as the job moves the reference will be useful rather than a book taking dust in the trash can.

I keep a separate notebook for every job as to record all assumptions as agreed and use it as a reference for the creation of the schedule as well as for transferring the references into the schedule file. 

Good Luck

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 28 weeks 2 days ago. Offline

Hi Dinesh

Further to JK's list:

Don't forget the Method Statement of Construction Sequence and Health and Safety Report.

There is no fixed template for this sort of thing - I use a word document which lists the different headings and then cross references to other documents and programme screenshots which are then embedded.

Other use a spreadsheet for the same purpose.

Best regards

Mike Testro

JK Morris
User offline. Last seen 7 years 50 weeks ago. Offline

Assumptions registers are a good way to document things but in my opinion are only part of what should be documented. Consider writing a Basis of Schedule, which would include a list of assumptions but also a high level description of the project, what documents the schedule is based on, your WBS/coding structure, how you plan to manage the schedule, and schedule contingency (if any) and where it exists in the schedule, production rates, etc.