Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Progress reporting - customise/define time intervals

11 replies [Last post]
Gert Truyens
User offline. Last seen 11 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi all,

I want to produce a progress report (showing a resource in time) for periods starting on the 21st of every month and ending on the 20th of the next month. Is there a function where you can define this kind of timeperiods or intervals?

Thx,

TRGert

Replies

Gert Truyens

Gary,

That's the trick! Thank you for your help. I like easy solutions.

Rafael,

Thx for your comments, they are very useful and I'll keep them in mind.

Best Regards,

Gert

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 9 hours ago. Offline

From, http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17266_01/p6help/help/en/helpmain.htm?toc.htm?21452.htm

Although you are alerted in each case, be aware of the following constraints when creating or configuring financial periods:

• You cannot introduce gaps in a series of financial periods. Any new periods you create must start or end flush with any existing entries. For example, if October 7-13 and October 14-20 are existing financial periods, you can create a new one that either ends on October 6 or starts on October 21.
  • You cannot overlap financial periods. In order to serve their purpose, financial periods must represent unique slices of time.
  • You can create financial periods with a duration of fewer than seven days (one week); however, you cannot view them in timescales in P6. Use P6 Professional if you need to view data by financial periods spanning increments of fewer than seven days (one week).

I wonder how you would report on a specific slice that do not fall within the pre-defined periods for purposes like analyzing "the measured mile" on actual slices for work that happened on slices different than your pre-defined financial periods. Here some sort of project truncation is in order and must be accurate if to be presented in court.

Spider Project truncation is one of the report forms executed for a certain period and presented in a separate project form. In project truncation, project data and representations are all displayed, also data under charges of cost components and materials, duration, volume, and also cost and materials calculation for the set time period are automatically executed.

Your truncations got to follow true actual distributions.

photo whatamess_zps60bda95c.jpg

Good luck.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 12 weeks ago. Offline

Hi Gert,

Those restrictions only apply if you are trying to "Batch Create" your financial periods -you can manually add each period with whatever dates you like by using the "add" option on the right hand side of the financial periods window

Cheers,

G

Gert Truyens

Hi Gary,

Thx for you answer. That was my first try as well but here is the problem:

P6 allows you to define on what day the week ends and what month your year ends, but this is not an option if you want monthly outputs. It uses first and last day of the month by default.

@ Rafael: Client imposes P6, so can't change to your Spider Software.

Best Regards,

Gert

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 2 days 9 hours ago. Offline

Some of the issues with P6 financial periods are:

1. Must be pre-defined.
  2. Only one global set of financial periods for all jobs is allowed. As a workaround you can define separate databases for every financial periods set.
  3. Updating shall match financial periods for it to work as intended.

It is important you understand how P6 distribute quantities on started but unfinished activities, always changing, a real mess that requires the use of pre-defined financial periods.

You can switch to software that will get it right, without the issue on changing quantities that span between several financial periods. In Spider Project you do not need to define financial periods as every update represent a financial period and therefore the distributions are fixed upon every update. For your reporting you can define as many custom periods you need to.

I suppose other software shall be able to get your reporting periods with the right quantities on past performance without requiring pre-defined financial periods and without the annoyance of the requirement for updates matching your pre-defined financial periods.

Good luck.

Gary Whitehead

Hi Gert,

You should be able to do this with financial periods.

I've not done it myself before, but if you go to Admin > financial periods, you can manually create periods running 21st to 20th

Then in the timesclaes window, you can select "fiscal" option for primary dates, and organise your timescales by financial period.

Standard resource reports should then be presented using these periods.

Cheers,

G

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Gert

You can run a filter between two dates to generate a look ahead programme.

This can be combined with you resource filter.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Gert Truyens

Hi Gary,

Using Primavera P6 v8.2.1

Gary Whitehead

Gert,

It would help if we knew what software you were using?

Gert Truyens

Thanx Mike,

Good to be here!

Can you explain me what you understand under 'time slice report' and how I can generate it?

Thx,

Gert

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 22 weeks 6 days ago. Offline

Hi Gert

Welcome to planning planet.

Filter on theresource and generate a time slice report.

Best regards

Mike Testro