Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Imported file showing constraint that does not exist

4 replies [Last post]
Anna J
User offline. Last seen 10 years 32 weeks ago. Offline

Hello,

I think I may have the answer, but I will still ask the question.  My co-worker has imported a file (.xer) into his master project.  There is one activity showing that it has a constraint, but has none.  Is this perhaps a bug in the program?  Even on the schedule log report that particular activity comes up as having a constraint.  I had him send me the file and I ran the log report and it did not show as a constraint, but in the shedule itself again showed as a constraint.  Is this possible that he imported a different ver of p6 that was not compatible.  This is a total mystery, can you help me solve this issue?  Have to know. 

Replies

Marcel Danes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 14 weeks ago. Offline

Hello Anna,

for me the best way to import a .XER-File is the following:

1. Open the the XER-File with "Primavera XER Fileparserbuilder" (You can  find the Excel-Tool in the Oracle Support Database [ID 902053.1] )
  2. Analyse the content with this nice Tool in Excel
  3. Save your result in a new XER-File
  4. Import this new XER-File into Primavera

This is for me the easiest way to clean up XER-Files and prevent errors in Primavera.

Regards

Marcel

Jose Frade
User offline. Last seen 3 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Anna

When I had the same problem the cause was a link from some imported activities to successors/predecessors from another project.

Primavera when exporting a project replaces these relations by a date (early start or finish date of predecessors/successors) placed in the external constraint field. These external constraints do not appear in the activity form and you have to call them as collumns.... Hope it helps

BR

JMFrade

Danya Pearce
User offline. Last seen 3 years 27 weeks ago. Offline

Not sure about P6 but MS project can have a global constraint on the overall project completion which could be an issue.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 4 hours ago. Offline

I do not use P6 but for what I have read at PP it occurs to me it can be [a substitute to] an external link or link to another project.

Best regards,

Rafael