Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Negative (?) terminal float

8 replies [Last post]
Emmanuelle Prefol
User offline. Last seen 5 years 20 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

At contract award, contractor's programme shows planned completion date = completion date.

The works starts as planned but there is then a contractor's incurred delay of 3 weeks, of which 2 weeks will be absorbed by the TRA, should the 1st progressed then programme show:

1) planned completion date + 1 week and same completion date

2) planned completion date + 1 week and completion date + 2 weeks

Thanks.

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 26 weeks ago. Offline

1. Yes - can be due to any delay;

2. Yes - by crashing your schedule, adding resources or whatever

you can also see delays if you got negative floats

Emmanuelle Prefol

Think I might have overcomplicated the issue. So I should try to simplify:

1 - Can the PCD be after the CD further to for instance contractor's caused delay?

2-  Can the PCD ever be brought back to be before the CD?

Ahmed KHR
User offline. Last seen 6 years 23 weeks ago. Offline

I think there is some constraint on the Critical path (Madatory finish for exemple) this why you don't see this delay on the end or the delay is on an activities wich have more than three weeks float.

You should chek your activities wiche have contraints first (make it free), chek the activities TF...

Regards.

Ahmed

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Emmaunelle,

You say there is a delay, but you also say that the current programme doesn't show the delay -please explain

Emmanuelle Prefol

... If there is a 3 week delay and 2 weeks of that delay are absorbed by TRA, then there must be a net 1 week delay. Why does the current programme not show this delay?

So what should tbe the PCD/CD dates if original PCD = CD = 13/08/12.

Gary Whitehead

Now I am confused...

If there is a 3 week delay and 2 weeks of that delay are absorbed by TRA, then there must be a net 1 week delay. Why does the current programme not show this delay?

Is it perhaps because the 3 week delay occured on an activity that was not on the critical path -ie only completion of that activity and not the whole project has been delayed?

If the client delays the project, then this should trigger a CE which ammends the completion date by the full three weeks. -TRA and terminal float belong to the contractor only -they can not be used to reduce a contractor's entitlement to EOT.

The only references I use for NEC contracts are the guidance notes that accompany the standard contract form. I can't recommend a book or anything.

Emmanuelle Prefol

OK thanks.

Delay was contractor's responsibility so you advise "planned completion date + 1 week and same completion date"
Concern I have is that the programme does not "show" delay i.e. current completion date same as initial completion date in contracts data vol.1.

Also, not understanding, should this be the client responsibility, why the PCD and CD move by the amount of weeks you said.

Can you suggest any papers/books... that would help in getting a better grasp on PCD, CD and terminal float.

E.

Gary Whitehead

If the delay was the responsibility of the contractor (ie no CE), then:

planned completion date + 1 week and same completion date

If the delay was the responsibility of the client, then:

planned completion date + 1 week and completion date + 3 weeks

Cheers,

G