Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Negative float in P6

2 replies [Last post]
Lakshana Suresh
User offline. Last seen 12 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Sir

I have a problem with displaying negative floats in my project during progress updation. I have put a must finish contraint to the activities. But activities whose actual start and actual finish are entered does not display negative float, though its supposed to be showing a negative float. Plz help :)

Replies

D Artagnan
User offline. Last seen 2 years 19 weeks ago. Offline

I agree with Gary. Perhaps what you wanted to show are the variance of the actual dates from the baseline date. Use variance instead of floats. I am just guessing of your intention.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 6 weeks ago. Offline

Activties which are complete do not have float.

Float is a measure of how much time an activity could be delayed by before delaying the project. This measure is meaningless for an activity which has already been completed, since it cannot be delayed.

Also please note that using must finish constraints is generally considered bad practise, as it disrupts float calculations.