Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Contractor Planner vs Consultant Planner

15 replies [Last post]
Ferdinand Fincale...
User offline. Last seen 8 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Planners,

In the Planning profession arena, I knew only two kinds of Planners. The one that is working with the contractor who in general builds the master program of work, and the other one who works with the consultant or the general project manager that scrutinizes the feasibility and credibility of the master program of work. They both know the pros and cons of the planned aspects, but somehow they are different in their roles.

Should I ask whether who’s who in the planning arena? Or should I ask who does the better planning stuff? In most cases, its also the consultant’s planner that is well paid than a contractor’s planner.

Hope to hear from you guys.

In Friendship,
Ferdinand

Replies

Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 30 weeks ago. Offline
I believe there is no point to compare. Both are the same Planners which may have different responsibilities but are doing the same thing.. Planning! With regards to pay, I supposed it depends on the employer.
Samer Zawaydeh
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Razi,

Each Contract should have a program of its own. It is a way to assist you in completing you deliverable.

You client would be in this case, the main Contractor. And you input should depend on their approved schedule dates.

If you have a specific question, please let us know.

Samer
Razi Uddin Khan
User offline. Last seen 6 years 41 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
DEAR ALL,

ALL ARE DISCUSSING ABOUT MAIN CONTRACTOR PLANNING ENGINEER OR CANSULTANT PLANNING ENGINEER. WHAT ABOUT THE SUB-CONTRACTOR PLANNING ENGINEER (MEP)WHO ACTUALLY HAS TO FACED BOTH THE PLANNING ENGINEERS.
REGARDS.
R. Catalan
User offline. Last seen 12 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
It boils down to experience;

if x = consultant’s planner
and y = contractor’s planner

then, possibe closing stages could be...

x = y >>> early approval of schedules, ending with DAB

x > y >>> + knowledge to y, late schedule, high risk to contractor, no EOT

x < y >>> x ignores y, late approval of schedules, approved EOT

thanks,

R. Catalan

thanks,

R. Catalan

thanks,

Ferdinand Fincale...
Hi Gordon,

I apologize if I have misinterpreted your ’poacher’ term. Thanks for the insights.

Best regards,
Ferdinand
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Ferdinand,

The term ’poacher’ was not meant in a derogatory sense, it refers to the term "poacher - turned - gamekeeper"

The reason that the consultant planner can expect to be better renumeratesd than his contractor counterpart is that the consultant should have spent a number of years as a contractor, doing the hard job - how else would he have the authority to criticise?

From his time as a Contractor’s planner he should be all too aware of the little tricks of the trade that the contractor may pull, making him a very effective gamekeeper.

Regards,

Gordon

*cultural note - just in case... it was common practice in England for the landed gentry having caught a poacher on their land to offer the miscreant employment as a gamekeeper rather than hand them over to the authorities. The miscreant would then be responsible for the safety of the livestock on the estate, and could use his knowledge of where to sneak in, where best to set traps etc to foil other poachers.
Nestor Principe
User offline. Last seen 13 years 10 weeks ago. Offline
hi izam,

so you’re one of the lucky guy. what i mean is you’re good in squeezing the contractor. i always beleive you can take some by giving some.

cheers..
Nestor Principe
hi izam,

so you’re one of the lucky guy. what i mean is you’re good in squeezing the contractor. i always beleive you can take some by giving some.

cheers..
Izam Zakaria
User offline. Last seen 7 years 36 weeks ago. Offline
Hi mr Nestor,

To create Key dates or milestones dates, u can pick up from Client ITB or ITT....and some other time to have the key dates u must generate the details of activities....and from there u will be noticed the logic of sequence...it’s not simply jot down the dates like that....

To all planners....to become a great planner u must involve with contruction wise first instead of consultant...

let paper work comes first, money comes later....
José Reis
User offline. Last seen 7 years 39 weeks ago. Offline
Ferdinand!

The correct is the consult planner accept better paid because in theory he have better knowledge about planner and your time is more valorize. Still in theory he was a Contractor planner so have good knowledge of the how make a good plan and with other knowledge he can look and detect problems in the plan. His time is more valorize because in theory he detec problems that can get big loss to company. But your key function like consultant’s planner is help the contractor’s planner, help and not make holes in your body!
I know that in the practice the history is other, like all in our lives, otherwise in theory is this.
Nestor Principe
Consultant planners are being paid better for creating key dates that are impossible to achieve.

Cheers
Ferdinand Fincale...
Hi Gordon,

You credited the hard work of contractor’s planner and yet you downgraded them by calling them a "poacher". Just in my opinion, it is unfair for them to be titled a poacher while they work hard to meet the expectations of the consultant planner that are good in picking holes.

Cheers!
Gordon Blair
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
I would suggest that, while the Consultant Planner (or Gamekeeper) is generally better paid, the Contractor’s Planner (or Poacher) has the harder job.

The key reason being it’s always easier to pick holes in other people’s work than to do it yourself.