Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Benchmarking for Construction Manpower

6 replies [Last post]
Carmen Arape
User offline. Last seen 7 years 1 week ago. Offline
To Construction Planners,

I need a benchmarking factors for Manpower Distribution (Construction).

I am involved in the forecast of Construction manpower for a new polymer plant.
I do have in my hands the following information from the estimate;

1.- Total manhours
2. High level schedule which gives me timeframe execution for the 3 more important units.

Does anyone know some benchmarking factors which allow me to distribute manhours per month and get the manpower .

Thanks & Cheers,
carmen

Replies

Armando Moriles
User offline. Last seen 16 years 42 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Thanks for the benchmarks too Carmen...

Thanks to PP too...

I’ll check my previous records.I could use the figures on my current work loads...

Regards,

Arman
Carmen Arape
Armando,

Thanks, now we are talking the same language. I am in a situation that high management wants forecasts when information is not fully available. The estimate is ongoing and a senior scheduler must be able to forecast timing and resources based on historical data, factors o whatever that provides reasonable figures.

Do really appreciate your input
Cheers,
carmen
Armando Moriles
Hi Carmen,

The percentages sample you indicated were interesting so I tried to checked two of our projects completed this year and the following are the results:

1. Project Type/Category: Dryer Tower and Related Developments
- Peak manpower(mhs) = 38% of total mhs;
- Duration (months) = 37% of total duration.

2. Project Type/Category: Warehouse complex
- Peak manpower(mhs) = 36% of total mhs;
- Duration (months) = 40% of total duration.

notes:
1.Above projects are both influenced by contract
intermediate project milestones;
2. Multi skilled Manpower Resources were utilized;
3. I am quite surprised why duration % of my item 2 duration (months) % is higher than peak mhs %;
4. I’ll continue checking a couple of files more of different categories tomorrow to further check the figures.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Arman
Carmen Arape
Armando,

Thanks for your answer, but at the moment I do not have such details, specially materials quantities and Labour Effectiveness.

Daniel,

Thanks for your answer. It helps when you say:
Use resource load in P3 and distribute manhours using curves. It does not have to be linear, I have different curves distribution.

I do not have value of each activity. When you mention value you mean manhours or cost. Due to I do not have neither the former nor the later, the ratio mentioned by you between labour intensive and not intensive can no be assessed for me.

Back to man-hours distribution using curves, the manpower that I get need to be analysed in order to fine-tune P3 figures:
1.- To get the right peak manpower during a reliable number of months.

2.- To get the appropriate manpower for destaffing months.

The factors that I am looking for are figures like this (below find some examples):

1.- Peak manpower (manhours) can not be more than 40% of total manhours.

2.- Duration (months) for peak months can not be more than 30% of total construction duration.

I need some numbers to validate figures coming out of P3.

Thanks&Cheers,
carmen
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
If you know the total value and the value of each activity in your high level programme, You can use a cost ratio of 30% for labour intensive work and 20-25% for non labour intensive works, then divided by by your average daily labour rates you will get your total mandays required to finish the work. You then resource load your programme, In P3, I think the default distribution is linear, however, you can choose what kind loading curve you prefer, i.e. tiangular, front loaded, back loaded, bell curve, etc.
If you already have an estimate of the total manhours then you can just pro-rate it against total mandays. Create resource for Labour and enter your manhours as budgeted quantity and define your preferred loading curve.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Daniel

Armando Moriles
Carmen,

I would like to participate in this exercise, can you please send me a copy of the materials quantities, manhours and probably pdf file of the programme (Maybe the .xer file).

Maybe you could also give me your comments on the Labour Effectiveness that me and few memebers of the PP members are starting to develop...

arman.moriles@leighton.com.ph

Regards,

Arman