Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Assigning Acitivity Weightage..

10 replies [Last post]
Siva Kumar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Hello all,

This is regarding preparation of Summarised Progress report of project schedule.
In a project schedule,let us consider an operation,which consists of some 5 activities.out of that, 3 activies are the main works,90% complete[we say as completed substantially].And other 2 activities,which is say,final cleaning up works,which is 0% complete.

So,when u summarise the operation it will take an average of 55%.This makes an embarassing report about that operation.

Can anyone say whether the less important works can be prioritised or ranked or given weightage ,which prevents reporting like this.

with thanks & Regards
CS.Kumar

Replies

Sami Abu al Heijaa
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
Dear Rodel

Thank you for your full explination, but actually I’m sorry to tell you that till the time being I’m using P3 not P5 , any how as I belive that Excel will give me as you said more analysis detaild and clear reports, I had studied my project finishing mile stones and estimated the percentage of work should be done on each one then by using the time line begining of the starting date till each finshing mile stone, I got somthing lik rule to get the activites wights and to prepare the progress curve,

however , I’ve just wrote the procedures which I did for your comments and I’ll apreciate that if you do so.

Regards

sami
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Dear Sami,

Those procedures are available in Primavera. It is only an example of how to weight your activities based on your resources. This was discussed in so many thread of PP. Excel is only an alternative tool that you can used for more exploration and analysis. In Primavera 5 activity steps are one of the function that you can used for deriving your productivity steps/ rules of credit or an external database and or excel spreadsheet for monitoring your activities and have an accurate progress. If you define your activities with resource loaded then you can used those to weight you activities per WBS or Activity Codes. You can export your resources budget and actual into excel if you prepare to do your analysis in excel spreadsheet.

Regards,
Rodel
Sami Abu al Heijaa
User offline. Last seen 13 years 33 weeks ago. Offline
DEAR Rodel Marasigan

REERRING TO YOUR POST ABOUT PREPARING THE WEIGHT FOR THE ACTIVITES , MY QUSTION IS:
IS THAT PROCEDURE APLICABLE IN PRIMAVERA OR I HAVE T USE THE EXCEL TO PREPARE EACH TIME AND IF ITS ONLY ON EXCEL WHERE I CAN IMAGNE THE WEIGHT FOR MY SELF HOW , IT WILL BE CONSIDRED ON THE PRIMAVERA THWN WHEN PRGRESS HAPPEN I CAN TRANSFER THE RESULTS TO EXCEL
Karim Mounir
User offline. Last seen 9 years 49 weeks ago. Offline
In addition to all posts, u can measure the weightage of the activities by the means of duration via assigning a dummy resource (called activity days) to the activities, the budgeted unit (for each activity) for this resource will be equal to the OD of the activity.

U can generate after making the resource loading an actual vs. target s-curve to compare the progress.

HTH.
Regards,
Karim
IC Quiamco
User offline. Last seen 13 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
Try to check also if your company got some standard work step weightage. Every company/projects got some methods on how they claim progress, this is kind’na more of strategy and a bit of common sense than science.

Sometimes Client also sets this value. It would be best to talk to your Client counterpart and your project engineer when establishing activity weightage.

Its Nice..I Like!!!
Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Kumar,

I believed that you are using duration % as your basis for your activity % complete where the result is really disappointing. As per earlier comments and as Annon states there are lots of discussion on this topic on other thread that gave you an idea on how to manage your weight factor to attain the correct progress. Aside from that there are plenty of norms to use for weighting your activities. Cost, labour hours are some of the parameters that you can use. Meaning have your activities resource correctly will given you a better report and weight % are satisfying.

Example for getting a correct progress:
First is to have a production step or rules of credit say Equipment installation:
a)     05% survey foundation
b)     10% set packers/ base plate
c)     45% lift into position/install
d)     15% align/ bolted
e)     10% final alignment/ torque
f)     05% grouting
g)     05% QA/QC check
h)     05% punch list
------------
100%

Example for weighting you activities
Units     Desc     weight
2000     Activity 1      26%
3500     Activity 2      46%
1500     Activity 3 20%
500     Activity 4      07%
100     Activity 5      01%
--------            ----------
7600           100%

If you progress your 3 activities having set your resource correctly then your summary % complete will have a satisfying result.

HTH
Rodel
Anoon Iimos
User offline. Last seen 2 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
If you’ll just explore it, i believe there are lots of discussions in here regarding weightings. For me, it depends on how did you estimate & organize your activities. Weightings can be derived from time, money and resource units. But I guess the results are never consistent. So it depends on how you feel is the nearest value that corresponds to your requirements.
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
In P3e which is my only experience with Primavera, you just use physical % complete.

In my pinion if you are going to track good quality earned value the % complete should ALWAYS be a manual input as it is calculated by the person responsible for the task as "a subjective assumption of the amount of physical progress that has been acheived to date" (Status Reporting Point) on the activity in question.

P3e also has the activity stepas which you can assign a particular weighting too which rolls up to the activity level and eventually to the WBS level as you would have desired.

Not having used P3 I’m unaware if there is a manual % complete function.
Siva Kumar
User offline. Last seen 5 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
HI andy
Thanks.I accept what u said.
In primavera,if u summarise a WBS element,the operation,containing 5 activiities,3 with 100% omplete & 2 with 0%,the summarised % complete will show only 60% not 80.

Technically,its right,but it gives a wrong meaning overall.
It will be gud ,if we r able to give weightage functionally in primavera,which ,while summarising any WBS element,say our operation,shud automatically calculate Avg% complete
based on the weightage,and not like (100+100+100+0+0)/5=60%
any options?

T&R
CS Kumar
Andrew Dick
User offline. Last seen 8 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
Kumar,
This is always an interesting topic around the table as each person normally has a different perseption of the weight a particular portion of work/task should hold in the big scheme of things.

It is always very subjective, some people I know have, for better or worse based it on the number of days the activity takes;
e.g. out of you 5 activities if the total linear duration of the tasks was say, 100 days, the fist 3 (bulk of the work each took 80 days to complete the final 2 activites occupying the remaining 20 days, you could assume that on average the completeion of the first 3 activities accounted for 80% of the work, (bigger than your originally quoted 55%).

Other people have based thisdecision around the number of manhours in each task, or the complexity of each task, or the deliverables of each task.

I suppose what I’m trying to say is that there is no real hard and fast rule to how to apply weights to your activities - So long as each person in the project management team is aware of how you arrived at the decision to place the weighting on each task and that you document and get signoff on the method.

Then you can start creating some standards for your organisation based on how the exeute the work.

I’m sure that there are many other ways to do this but this has ben a snapshot of my experience.

Andy