Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Which method more accurate for calculating the paments?

8 replies [Last post]
Basel Al-Jazzar
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Which method is more accurate for calculating the monthly payment?
using the updated schedule and multiplying the progress %age of each activity by its cost ?
or
using the detailed B.O.Q and multiplying the used quantities by its cost ?

i feel that if the updated %ages where not accurate the payment wouldn’t be also BUT calculating the quantities used every month would be more accurate

I just need to hear from you ...

Replies

Ernesto Puyana
User offline. Last seen 8 years 2 days ago. Offline
That was the ’precise’ word to use. sorry. That’s exactly what I meant.
But let me ask you: is my assumption correct?
Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Hello,

Generally the payment mehtod is stipulated in the contract.

When you say accurate then that is the final figure, then what is "more accurate".

I would prefer to use the word "precise".

For lump sum contract, progress percentage will be arrive at rough (less precise method of measurement) estimates of physical progress in place. At the end of the day, the actual quantities in place is immaterial whether you are 25% plus or minus with the tender BOQ. The final money you will get is the lump sum amount for individual items.

Regards,

Charlie
Ernesto Puyana
Being in the aviation industry, where I guess man-hours needed to install items are not proportional to their cost, I’m sure percent complete should be base on activity cost, and not on labor resources assigned to activities.
Eckart Schenck
User offline. Last seen 4 years 27 weeks ago. Offline
The project I’m currently working on is lump sum.
Payment is calculated for quantitiy delivered/installed based on BOQ, but only after customers inspection.

In general payment conditions are defined in the contract and weighting method for progress %age should reflect that.

Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 4 weeks ago. Offline
Basel

Agree with Ernesto’s view in using BOQ’s for payment calculation...

In PM software like P3 there are numerous way to weight your %progress: Duration, Resource unit, Cost. The progress will vary depending on which factor you will use... %Prog. are only idicators as to whether the project is on-track or out-of-track (subject to evaluation too..)

Just an idea..

Cheers,

Christian
Ernesto Puyana
I`ve always associated lump-sum contract payment to % complete evaluation, just as unit price contracts are paid by measuring quantities for each item. the second can be more accurate, but takes a lot more effort and time to prepare and document. Isn`t it better to compromise a little precision in order to get paid sooner?

Basel Al-Jazzar
User offline. Last seen 13 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
it is a lump sum contract
Ernesto Puyana
What kind of contract are you working on. Payment methon depends on it: lump-sum, unit price, cost plus fee?