Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Deliverables Terminology

5 replies [Last post]
Imron Asran
User offline. Last seen 13 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Dear all,

This is a very good forum for us as a media for sharing problem and information.

I got a problem again regarding the Deliverables.
I am now preparing a plan deliverables list for A FEED Project with each lead engineer.
I suggest to my boss to separate the deliverables and non deliverables in order to easy in planning, schedulling and control.

The client ask for the Deliverables List, my boss gave the Master Deliverables List where so many activities (basically non deliverables) are mentioned.
In my opinion, Deliverables are the documents or what ever a tangible document to be delivered to client later after project completed. But my boss feel that whole things that we will do are deliverables. What do you think ?

Second one is S-Curve for engineering Project. My boss prepare the S-Curve based on the Resourcess Loading Report from Primavera. In my opinion that is totally wrong.... I always use the EXCEL with simple program to prepare the S Curve on the basis of incremental milesstone and time based such as IFA=60%, IFC=80%, AFC=100% for deliverables and Time based for non deliverables.
My question is am I wrong, please your advice?
Do you know any software especially for Engineering project that can create the S-Curve. I am now using EZTrac for controlling cost and schedule, but it cannot create S Curve.

I look forward your opinion and advice.

Thank a lot,

Imron Asran

Replies

Mike Harvey
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Imron Visit hpcconsult.co.uk and look under 'Planning Academy' there is an article on Planned Progress Monitoring it may go some way to answering your problem. Most deliverables are tangible an example of this is shown under Feasibility Phase, also 'Planning Academy' Regards Mike Harvey
Mike Harvey
User offline. Last seen 11 years 6 weeks ago. Offline
Take a look at 'Planning Academy' HPCCONSULT.CO.UK Mike Harvey
Colin Cropley
User offline. Last seen 6 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Imron

1. Deliverables
Deliverables are the products to be provided to your client, both during and at the end of the project. They can be the technical products of the project (what the project has been set up to produce, such as a process plant or a bridge, including documentation, training etc) and the project management products of the project (such as progress reports, the WBS, quality audits).
If there is a Master Deliverables List that has been defined in the Contract or agreed between the client and the main contractor, then that is what you must work with.

It is often done in project schedules to include milestones for the delivery of each of the Master Deliverables in a section at the start of the schedule, linked to the schedule logic tracking the production of the deliverables.

2. S-Curves
S-curves are cumulative plots of the resource usage or costs of the project, from start to finish. They can be expressed in manhours (or similar units) or in costs. They can also be expressed in percentage of budget (cost or manhours) if you are reporting progress to a client and don’t want to show the absolute numbers (such as in a lump-sum contract).

If most of the cost of the project is in expenditure of manhours (such as in a design project), then using manhours as a measure of progress is accurate enough. If there are lots of purchased items and services as well, it is more accurate to use cost as the measure.
To use Earned Value Analysis (which give the most accurate picture of how your project is going against its baseline plan), you need to track the Planned, Earned and Actual Cost (or resource usage) values at each reporting period.
Have a look at the Earned Value Report information in the P3 manual and the online help screens. The S-curve for the Planned curve is obtained using the Tabular Resource or Cost Report for the Baseline schedule.

Of course you can’t produce the Planned S-curve unless your schedule has all the resources &/or costs in it so that you can plot the periodic and cumulative values. And you can’t produce the Actual S-curve unless you track actual manhours or costs when statusing the schedule. Quite often actuals are not tracked, but Earned values can be tracked because they are the sum of the Percent complete x budget cost (or budget quantity) for each activity, summed for the whole project.

Hope this helps.
Mark Lomas
User offline. Last seen 16 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
To put it really simply: A deliverable is something you deliver, like a report or a drawing.
Tomas Rivera
User offline. Last seen 5 years 17 weeks ago. Offline
My answer to your first question.
The Project Management Institute defines deliverable as follows:

"Any measurable, tangible, veifiable outcome, result, or item that must be produced to complete a project or part of a project. Often used more narrowly in reference to an external deliverable, which is a deliverable that is subject to approval by the project sponsor or customer."

In general, the deliverables are usually defined in the contract documents.