Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Cranes & Hoists

5 replies [Last post]
Greg Stacey
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Does anyone have a method of calculating the number of cranes and man/material hoists required for a building site, other than working out the requirements of each trade within the construction cycle.

Replies

Mike Harvey
User offline. Last seen 11 years 11 weeks ago. Offline
There are no short cuts. In most instances one has to justify the costs. In justifying costs a logistics plan is the only formula. If interested visit www.hpcconsult.co.uk and visit production rates for 'Tower Crane Hook Times' Hope this helps Regards Mike Harvey
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Thanks Romeo, but I am really after a quick fix formula, or do you know of any papers written about selection of cranes and hoists. Long hand calculations are not the problem, I want a method of determing a fast answer, a 'rule of thumb'. Regards, Greg
Romeo Diswe
User offline. Last seen 8 years 22 weeks ago. Offline
For typical civil jobs, perhaps James suggestion is practical. you can just super impose the crane coverage to your site layout and if the crane is not sufficient you can always support it with crawler or mobile cranes. However for a high rise building projects, you need to work out the crane hours and size of your tower cranes based on the heaviest lift, no. of lifts, the method you are adopting and the design of the building (i.e. whether it is plain in-situ concrete, composite building, structural steel, precast high rise building, etc.). For hoist requirements, you may need to work out the no. of tonnages you need to handle using goods hoists based on the BOQ againts the hoist capacity you planned to use , and also need to study the layout of the building where you can strategically position your hoist for maximum usage. Hope it helps you.
Greg Stacey
User offline. Last seen 6 years 28 weeks ago. Offline
Thanks James, but yes. I am looking for a 'rule of thumb' that says a multi storey of x floor plate has an average lifts of x, and based on this the hours are such that 1,2 or 3 etc cranes will be required. The same sort of arrangement for hoists. At persent for hoists I use and old lift design formula to determine how long it takes to get the workforce to their work floors. Its not bad but I was wondering if anyone had anything better, or anything was published?
Forum Guest
User offline. Last seen 4 weeks 3 days ago. Offline
Hi there, For tower cranes - often the simplest way is to super-impose the gib span (circle) over the site layout and see how many cranes are required in order to cover most of the building footprint. Is that too simplistic for you ?