Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MSP Export file

7 replies [Last post]
Kevin Rayner
User offline. Last seen 2 years 51 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Whilst I have imported MSP files many times I have only ever exported P6 to MSP once several years ago. Running 17.12.8, the PM has asked for an MSP export file but he can't open an mpx which I gather is for old versions of MSP. Everytime I try to export to an an XML I get an exception error. How can I get an MSP export file?

Replies

Rodel Marasigan
User offline. Last seen 7 weeks 12 hours ago. Offline

Hi Henry,

To check if your system is 32 bits or 64 bits go to File Explorer then right click on "This PC" or "My Computer" which ever has been setup on your machine (for older windows called "My Computer" and new windows now called "This PC") and click properties. Look for the "System Type" and it will tell you if your system is 32bit (x86) ior 64 bit (x64) operating system. To check if MSOffice is 32 bit or 64 bit, open your Excel then click File then Account then About Excel. It will tell you if your MSO Excel is 32 bit or 64 bit. To check if P6 is 32 bit or 64 bit, open P6 and click Help menu then About Primavera P6 then select system tab. Look for platform and it will tell you if 32 bit (x86) or 64 bit (x64).

In your case if the Export -> Speadsheet (xls) is grey out and cannot be selected, I suspect that your P6 does not recognise that MSO Excel is installed in your machine. Usually happened if they have different operating system type (32 or 64). Primavera P6 rel 15.x is the first officially release having 64 bit platform. If you have P6 rel. 16.1, you may have either 32 or 64 which may not be compatible with your MSO Excel which is can be solve easily.

Try to repair you MSO Excel installation and it may work. If not try to re-installed the MSOffice so Primavera P6 will recognise that it was installed on your machine. Try the same system platform (32 bit or 64 bit) which ever is Primavera P6 platform is installed on your machine.

Henry George
User offline. Last seen 25 weeks 3 days ago. Offline

Henry George

Mr.Rodel thanks for your question my P6 Version is 16.1 and its always grey out once i click spreech to export,i dont understand the 32bt you asking please explain morethan if yo can thanks

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Henry,

What version of P6 are you using? Is your P6 using 32bit or 64bit? Is your MSOffice Excel 32bit or 64bit? Is the Export -> Spreadsheet - (XLS) not active or grey out and cannot be selected? 

Henry George

Please Good Morning all who will help me with my P6 Settings dunno if i installed it well or not,trying to export to excel has never been possible for me dunno why...same software i have installed in a different computer expoting to excel was easy but now HP-Window 10 i installed but exporting to Excel not working...

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Rodel has the work around but to fix the underlaying problem can you please post the error that you are receiving whne tryin gto export to and xml file.

Under admin

Global profile 

Security profiles

make sure that all of the boxes are checked fro Has privilege 

especially the import XML one 

Rodel Marasigan

Hi Kevin,

The reason why you are getting error exporting to XML MPP is you may have some link in P6 that have same Activity ID which maybe a combination of SS & FF or SS & FS or FS & FF, usually common on LOE activities.  This violate the rules in MSProject. Make sure this issue has been corrected in P6 before exporting to XML. Make sure when exporting to MPP XML, you use the version of MSProject that you have in your machine.

Another option is use a converter online free XER to MPP or MPX to MPP.

Search online converter!