Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project to P6

10 replies [Last post]
Sonya Cortez
User offline. Last seen 6 years 16 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have saved an MS Project as an XML file. I want to import it into P6, but the Primavera P6 - XML option is greyed out when I go through the import dialog. Is there a way to fix this, or a better way to get an MSP project into P6 (with logic).

Also, my MSP will not allow me to save or export as an MPX.

Replies

Khuong Do
User offline. Last seen 2 years 25 weeks ago. Offline

Hi,

You can try the convert tool from Primavera to convert from mpp to mpx. You can refer to instruction here https://doduykhuong.com/2016/02/04/convert-microsoft-project-mpp-to-mpx-to-import-to-primavera/

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 26 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

thank you 

Phil Bedford
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Thats the one I used last night, works a treat.

Sonya Cortez

Taktone: Project File Converter

https://www.taktone.com/Home/PFC

Zoltan Palffy

can you please supply that link to the xml to mpx cpnverter please 

Sonya Cortez

The option to import XML is greyed out. I did not have any luck with the MPP to MPX converter.

I did find a solution. I found an application that converts XML to MPX. I was able to export the MSP project as an XML then convert it to MPX and import it into P6 that way.

I had to try this process a few times since I was having issues with logic and dates in the import. I was able to fix everything by setting a calendar to all of the activities in MS Project.

Zoltan Palffy

save the project to an MPP then run the mpp to mpx and import the mpx

there are at least 2 mpp to mpx convertes out there 

Phil Bedford
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

MS Project no longer gives the option to save as an MPX file.

There is a convertor kicking around that apparently convers MPP to MPX, but I cant get it to work (Claims I dont have MSP installed, when I definately do)

Im having the same issue as you Sonya, I have exported the XML from MSP, but when I import (using the Import Microsoft Project XML option) I get an error that claims the import succeded, but with errors.....and then I cant find the imported file in my Project list!

For some weird reason, I also cant Export an XLS file from P6, gives me an error about the database or something :(

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread.

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 2 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Sonya,

"Primavera P6 - XML" and "Microsoft Project XML" are two different file types.  Do you have a Microsoft Project button available on the Import Format window?  That's where you should click, then select XML in the pull-down list.