Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

P6 16.1: Planned Value Cost Activity Table =/= Cum PVC Activity Usage Spreadsheet

3 replies [Last post]
Bian Mutang Tagal
User offline. Last seen 1 year 43 weeks ago. Offline

Hi all,

I am facing an issue that has me stumped - 

When I have baseline A assigned to a progressed schedule, I am unable to get the Planned Value Cost column in my Activity Table (LHS) to match with the Cum Planned Value Cost column in the Activity Usage Spreadsheet (RHS) at any given data date. This is an issue because our financial and physical S-Curves in Excel were created using the Cum Planned Value Cost values from the Activity Usage Spreasheet (RHS). Normally in our reports we submit both the curves and the P6 activity table printout which includes schedule % complete. So as you can imagine, the schedule % complete differs for the curve and P6 activity table.

Even more perplexing is that the LHS and RHS costs match when the schedule is imported to a SQLite database, but differs in an SQL database (non-server). This behavior is consistent across different machines.

Has anyone encountered this issue before and what are possible ways to resolve it?

Thanks,

Replies

Bian Mutang Tagal

-deleted extra post -

Bian Mutang Tagal

Someone recently came across this post and asked on LinkedIn if I ever found the solution so i'm reposting here:

Hi Chandana,

Yes I managed to find the solution in my case.

The reason for the difference was because of an unexpected Budgeted Total Cost distribution over time in the Activity Usage Spreadsheet, hence resulting in different Planned Value Cost values for Activity Cost and Activity Usage Spreadsheet, for the same Data Date.

In my case, some of the activities, for example, had 5d original duration. So we would expect the Budgeted Total Cost for that activity to be spread out over 5d in the absence of any resource curves. However, I found out the the Budgeted Total Cost was in fact entirely front-loaded to the very first day of the activity.

The reason for it was because of the equation Duration * Budgeted Units / Time = Budgeted Units.

Somehow, when I imported my subcontractor schedule into my P6, some of their resource Budgeted Units or Budgeted Units / Time was reset to zero, or it was zero in the first place.

Based on the equation above, if Budgeted Units or Budgeted Units / Time is zero, we end up with zero duration.

So, Duration * 0 = Budgeted Units ; Duration = Infinity ~ 0

or

Duration * Budgeted Units / Time = 0 ; Duration = 0

BUT because we are using Duration Type = Fixed Duration and Units / Time, the above equation is ignored and the Original Duration will not change despite the zero values. 

However, for some reason the above is true only for Activity Table. In Activity Usage Spreadsheet, the Duration Type does not seem to override.

So, because the Duration of the activity is calculated to be zero in the Activity Usage Spreadsheet, P6 does the next best thing and places the entire Activity Budgeted Total Cost on the first day.

So that's why the Schedule % Complete / Planned Value Cost values are different at the same Data Date between the Activity Table and Activity Usage Spreadsheet.

Hope that helps,

Bian

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

thats should work

run this global change 

if

where (leave this blank)

Then 

Planned start = start

and Planned finish = finish

Bian Mutang Tagal

Hi Zoltan,

Under Admin Preferences>Earned value calculation>When calculating earned value from a baseline use:

• At Completion values with current dates
  • Budgeted values with current dates
  • Budgeted values with planned dates <--- I am using this option for both SQLite and SQL

Thanks,

BT

Zoltan Palffy
User offline. Last seen 16 weeks 4 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

under admin preferences calculate earned vauye what are your settings ?