Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Delayed Critical activity with no negative float

2 replies [Last post]
Mahmoud Abohashem
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

I have some critical activities (total float=0) are delayed by 27 days during updating, but it gives me only (-9) of total float

while it should be (-27)

for example it is to be finished according to BL at 1st of December 2013, according to update it delayed to be 27th of December 2013, and its baseline total float is zero, now it is giving me (-9) days of total float

the project finish date is constrained (must finish by)

this problem occured when i imported the update in another version of the baseline

any help is appreciated

Replies

Mahmoud Abohashem
User offline. Last seen 7 years 6 days ago. Offline
Groups: None

Gary,

Please find my reply underlined

1) Float is measured in working days, not calendar days. Check the calendars of the critical activities to see how many working days are between 1st and 27th December. I guarantee you it won't be 27 sure i know it is calculated from working days, but i have a critical activity with float zero that have delayed with 21 working days according to my calendar, but it only gives negative 9 days of float

2) Check your must finish by constraint is 1st December already done

3) I do not underatand what you mean by "imported the update in another version of the baseline" -please explain. i have a revised version of the baseline due to some changes (shifting notice to proceed date by 3 calendar months), and it is not a change order, it is a whole new baseline, so i had to apply my actuals and updates on the new version

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Mahmoud,

1) Float is measured in working days, not calendar days. Check the calendars of the critical activities to see how many working days are between 1st and 27th December. I guarantee you it won't be 27

2) Check your must finish by constraint is 1st December

3) I do not underatand what you mean by "imported the update in another version of the baseline" -please explain.