Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Longest Path based on activity ID

5 replies [Last post]
John Power
User offline. Last seen 8 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
I was wondering if there is an easy way to create a filter for the longest path leading to a certain activity which is not actually on the longest path. I know it can be done by adding an artificial activity or lag which exceeds the current longest path or filtering a certain activity and tracing the logic backwards. But surely there must be a quicker neater way? Thanks.

Replies

Robert Hughes
User offline. Last seen 8 years 1 week ago. Offline
Groups: None

This is also now a feature on Asta PowerProject called 'Path to Task' - comes in very useful.

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 16 hours ago. Offline

If you have the following:

Activity 1 : duration 5 days, resource one unit of A, no successors no predecessors, priority 10

Activity 2 : duration 5 days, resource one unit of A, no successors no predecessors, priority 10

Activity 3 : duration 5 days, resource one unit of A, no successors no predecessors, priority 10

Activity 4 : duration 5 days, resource one unit of A, no successors no predecessors, priority 10

There are 2 units of resource A available.

What is the longest path to Activity 1, to Activity 2, to Activity 3, to Activity 4? They are all interchengeable.

Maybe longest path calculations are flawed under resource constrining as well as under other constraints such as date constraints. If so then it is of not much value when your model requires use of resource leveling and date constraints.

Raymund de Laza
User offline. Last seen 8 weeks 18 hours ago. Offline
John, Try using the filter and trace logic.
Thomas Polen
User offline. Last seen 10 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi John - not trying to sound like an advertisement - The Acumen Fuse software allows you to select any task in the schedule and illustrate the driving path from any other task/milestone (including the start milestone) to the particular path. This is sort of a "critical path to task you select" functionality. Fuse has many functions for schedule quality assessment... but this logic trace function is one of the "unsung hero" capabilities of the tool. Full disclosure - I work for Deltek, who vends this tool, however, I was a user/customer beforehand and experienced great benefits from the tool.

We'd be happy to demonstrate this capability if you're interested - just let me know.

Tom Polen

thomaspolen@deltek.com

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 10 weeks ago. Offline

Assuming your project has no out of sequence working or constraints tthat are interefering with your float (ie longest path = critical path), then you can add a temporary mandatory constraint to the activity in question which forces a negetive float path upstream of it.

Then just filter on TF < 0.

If that's not an option, your suggestion of adding a dummy sucessor with a very large duration is your best bet

I agree it would be nice to be able to just press a button and see the driving path for a given activity without the above fudges, but I don't think it's a feature Oracle have given us (yet).

Cheers,

G