Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Updating schedule with no progress

4 replies [Last post]
moutaz aldeib
User offline. Last seen 2 years 43 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi Planners,

If I am updating my schedule on monthly basis and in a particular month there is no progress at all, how can I update it to show the slippage in dates for the critical activities "completion date of the project?

Is this related to the status date of the project which I changed but the dates did not.

Regards,

Muataz

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 21 weeks 4 days ago. Offline

Hi Moataz

Just enter the same progress for the prevvious month.

Best regards

Mike Testro

Ahmed Abdessalem,...
User offline. Last seen 4 years 17 weeks ago. Offline

Ms project will not di the calculatuin. You will have to do it yourself.

Best Regards,

Ahmed Abdessalem,

www.drinac.com

Tom Boyle
User offline. Last seen 3 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Muataz,

Unlike other tools, MSP requires you to explicitly re-schedule any slipped/delayed incomplete work as part of each update.

There are a number of steps you should take before setting a new status date (including entering all your actual starts and finishes and confirming remaining durations of in-progress work.)

After setting the new Status Date,

1. Select the specific tasks that should have had progress but did not have any.  (If you have chains of logically connected tasks that should have been done, only select the first task in each chain.)
  2. Click "Update Project" on the Project ribbon.
  3. Choose "Reschedule uncompleted work to start after:" (Your new status date should be shown.  If not, change it.)
  4. Choose "Selected Tasks" - THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT and is not the default selection.
  5. Click OK.

For unstarted tasks, this will impose a new early-start constraint on the Status Date.  For in-progress tasks, this will split the task at the end of its actual duration and resume it on the new Status Date.

Notes: Any unstarted task with a non-SNET constraint will NOT be rescheduled - you'll have to revise the constraint yourself.  Also, any in-progress task will be split to satisfy delayed predecessors (unless you have unchecked the "Split In-Progress Tasks" scheduling option.)

Good luck, tom 

Philip Day
User offline. Last seen 2 years 1 week ago. Offline

Hi Moataz,

Are you taking about Splitting your task which should have, but in fact did not have any work done to it?

Phil