Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Manual Scheduling - Project 2010

4 replies [Last post]
Donald Harrold
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 week ago. Offline
I have just received a copy of MS Project 2010 for evaluation. I cannot understand why it defaults to manual scheduling? The whole point of scheduling software is that it calculates the dates within a network? Why Microsoft see this as an enhancement is quite beyond me. It's like "back to the future"? Dumbing down a useable piece of software so that it can be used by people who want to plan a school picnic will turn off people who need to use it for real world scheduling. Any other thoughts out there?

Replies

Donald Harrold
User offline. Last seen 12 years 1 week ago. Offline
I wish Microsoft's motives were as honourable as you suggest L_H. The reality is they want to expand the user base by simplifying the product and that in turn means sacrificing or hiding away the functionality that is useful to people who actually want to use it for scheduling. The product is now aimed at your average Sunday School Teacher planning the summer Jamboree rather than somebody planning and monitoring time critical work packages.
Daniel Limson
User offline. Last seen 5 years 8 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear All,

I have the same observation, all Microsoft t software latest versions are more cumbersome, softwares are suppose to be more user friendly, but now they they are all pain in the ass.  It is all business you know, they probably can not improve them anymore and hence we are getting all this crap so they can realease new versions. Microsoft really works!

Regards,

Daniel

Lord Horn
User offline. Last seen 5 years 24 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hello,

The real reason is that Microsoft wants the user to establish a workflow while planning projects.

The first step is getting the project steps and their durations (fixed or estimated), right. Only once you are completely satisfied with the same, you can run the schedule and see how it looks like.  This is the preferred method of PMBOK and other methodologies, which tell you to get the steps right. Durations can be calculated afterwords.

Also, in most major project planning solutions (read Primavera) you have to do the same. Only after running a schedule do you get the durations in sequence.

Of course, you always have the freedom to go the Options and select 'AUTOMATIC' calculation in MSP 2010. All 'NEW' projects will be henceforth calculated automatically. Just like previous versions.

I hope that helped.

Cheers and Regards,

L_H

Stephen Devaux
User offline. Last seen 39 weeks 19 hours ago. Offline

It used to be that MSP automaticlly highlighted the longest path through the project as soon as you started giving activities durations. That changed with the 2003 version, after which you had to go into the Gantt Chart Wizard and turn on the highlighting of the critical path.

Apparently Microsoft got so many calls from users complaining that the software was highlighting certain activities.  "Sir, that's because it's the critical path."  "Not to me, it's not critical!"  So they turned it off.

Fraternally in project management,

Steve the Bajan