Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Linking the same resource assigned to different sub projects

1 reply [Last post]
charli r
User offline. Last seen 13 years 9 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Hi there,

I currently have an overall project (design office) with 3 inserted sub-projects (project #, holiday schedule and off site visits). They are all outline level 1.

Under projects are obviously different project numbers and indented in that are further sub tasks. Holidays are shown as tasks in the same way and off site visits too.

Essentially I have

1) PROJECTS ---> 2) PROJECT # ---> 3)design/manufacture/assembly/track test

1) HOLIDAYS ---> 2) NAMES ---> 1/2/3

1) OFF SITE VISITS ---> 2) TRACK SUPPORT/COURSES ----> races/cities etc.

It I take Charli as an example. I would be assigned to 2 or 3 tasks within projects. I would also be assigned to my own holiday dates (set up as tasks) and perhaps to a few days on a course. In resource usage however the resources are displayed -

Charli - design 8 hours, scheduling 7 hours, manufacture 20 hours

Ben - production 8 hours

Rob - manufacture 20 hours, visits 25 hours

Charli - Holiday 1 - 450 hours

Ben - Holiday 1 - 200 hours

Charli - Silverstone - 16 hours

Although resource overallocation is shown for each 'Charli' seeing as there is only ONE charli, I need to arrange project to show this. Currently the 3 subprojects are linked as Start to Start. Resources are assigned from my email address book. You can see visually on the Gaant view that I am assigned 100% to more than one task... however I do not have room for visual errors and as such need for it to be highlighted in resource usage as an allocation for e.g. if holiday and tasks collide!!!

So how do I link the 3 subprojects and my resources?

Help muchly appreciated!

Thanks

Charli

Replies

Mike Testro
User offline. Last seen 30 weeks 5 days ago. Offline

Hi Charli

Assuming that you don't have distinct tasks for each resource you can set up work windows in separate calendars.

Best regards

Mike Testro