Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Duration between 2 task

5 replies [Last post]
DEBASISH SANYAL
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Dear all ,

Please help me to find "duration between 2 tasks" . For this I have inserted a field "Unique Id" ..

Thnaks

Debasish Sanyal

Replies

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 11 hours ago. Offline

Also try inserting a milestone between the two tasks, assign the calendar you wish to the milestone and the milestone total float and free floats will be equal to the duration between the activities based on your calendar selection.

Gary Whitehead
User offline. Last seen 5 years 15 weeks ago. Offline

Bo's answer is quite correct.

I would just add that if you only need to know the duration in calendar days, you can avoid the need to add hammocks to the programme by pasting the two dates in excel, and calculating one minus the other.

Bo Johnsen
User offline. Last seen 8 years 28 weeks ago. Offline

As Rafael says you need to create a hammock in MSP to find the duration between 2 activities. In the example shown by Rafael the hammock is created between Activity 1 and Activity 3. In MSP this is created by copy "Finish" of Activity 1, Paste Special/Paste Link into "Start" of Hammock Activity and copy "Start" of Activity 3, Paste Special/Paste Link into "Finish" of Hammock Activity.

You also need to set the hammock activity to fixed units and preferably set it to 7 days/week calendar (will give you the duration in calendardays) - or you can set the hammock to another calendar just as Rafael has shown in 2 examples. If you adjust "fixed units" and calendar afterwards, you probably need to re-do the excercise with Paste Special/Paste Link again to get it to work correctly.

The hammock (=duration between the 2 activities) will drop down to zero (=milestone) but not go in minus, even though the two activities where overlapping or activity 3 suddenly took place before activity 1.

Regards,

Bo 

DEBASISH SANYAL
User offline. Last seen 13 years 25 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None

Mr. Rafael , I can not understand ?.. Is there any trick in MS Project 2007 for finding duration between 2 tasks using a customized calender ?  I am requesting all ...

With regards

Debasish Sanyal

Kolkata , India

Rafael Davila
User offline. Last seen 1 day 11 hours ago. Offline

Try using Hammocks or the equivalent.

The following use of hammocks allows me to assign a particular calendar to each hammock and therefore I can get the duration based on different calendars.

Duration between activities

I used before MS Project and know it works different, not all software are equal, but sometimes there are ways around. Perhaps you cannot create a Hammock or its equivalent by linking the start of the hammock to the finish of an activity and the finish to the start of an activity but by using a couple additional milestones you can overcome this.

Best regards,

Rafael