Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

MS Project Enterprise

10 replies [Last post]
Simon Mawdsley
User offline. Last seen 10 years 19 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
I’ll apologize in advance to the lovers of MS Project.

I’ve never been a fan of MS Project, why MS produced a planning tool that doesn’t have some basic planning features as discussed in other threads here I’ll never know. It’s probably down to cost as always.

I’m being asked to investigate MS Project Enterprise and I would appreciate any guidance from the users out there on any Enterprise problems and fixes to look out for.

Thanks

Replies

Larry Blankenship
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
If you do end up having to use MS Project, you might check out the book "Dynamic Scheduling with Microsoft Office Project 2003: The Book by and for Professionals" by Eric Uyttewaal

Although one sometimes wonders if English is not Mr. Uyttewaal’s native tongue, this is the first book I’ve ever read on Project that made me feel like I might be able to make it work after all. I’m not up to the chapter on resource levelling, which for me is where the rubber meets the road, but what I’ve read so far has greatly impressed me.

Lots of examples, and a sample project to work through to make sure you have the concepts down pat.

It’s a little spendy at $69.95 plus shipping, but thankfully, it was a reimbursable expense, and I know I’m going to get much more out of it than the money I spent.

Larry
Simon Mawdsley
Clive
I wish, no it’s a future prospect
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
Simon
Is this the golden Mickeys???
Clive
Simon Mawdsley
Christian/Alexandre

Thanks for the comments. This MS Project review is IT driven not planning driven. The planners haven’t been given a chance to shoot it down yet........ but we will.
Christian Adrian ...
User offline. Last seen 5 years 2 weeks ago. Offline
Aren’t you considering P3 in you options? =)

Cheers!
Larry Blankenship
User offline. Last seen 12 years 15 weeks ago. Offline
The best thing you can do to avoid having to use Project is to do a feature for feature comparison tied to your business requirements, even to the point of doing a demo of the differences in how the tools level (which in my opinion, is Project’s biggest weakness)

Once they get a look at the muddled mess that Project makes out of resource scheduling, you should have a much better case for using a real scheduling tool

Larry
Simon Mawdsley
Thanks for the advice guys.

I’ve already had a quick look at the MS Web but obviously not the best place for a balanced view so the Asta comparison is good.

If there are another software comparisons out there it would be a great help.

Thanks again
Clive Randall
User offline. Last seen 16 years 34 weeks ago. Offline
I cant help
But
I can Laugh
H A HA HA

Good luck