Guild of Project Controls: Compendium | Roles | Assessment | Certifications | Membership

Tips on using this forum..

(1) Explain your problem, don't simply post "This isn't working". What were you doing when you faced the problem? What have you tried to resolve - did you look for a solution using "Search" ? Has it happened just once or several times?

(2) It's also good to get feedback when a solution is found, return to the original post to explain how it was resolved so that more people can also use the results.

Earned Value Calculation in MSP 2003

5 replies [Last post]
Niek Zonneveld
User offline. Last seen 2 years 18 weeks ago. Offline
Groups: None
Anyone out there with experience in generating reliable EVA numbers straight out of MSP 2003?

I get no BCWP/EV for work accomplished ahead of the status date. According to the calculation model it should calculate BCWP = BAC * %complete and the status date should have nothing to do with it.

Am I going crazy or am I overlooking something?

Thanks,

Niek.

P.S. done all the regular checks, i.e. baseline, resources rates, EVA calculation settings, etc.

Replies

Niek Zonneveld
You are right Rommel,

EV = BCWP = Earned Value has nothing to do with the status date. So in order to get this right you need to build your own spreadsheet in MS Project (with formulas in custom fields) or push the whole lot into Excel; Which is probably the shortest option.

This is probably the Microsoft way of showing that integration between their office products is so seamless :-)

Cheers,

Niek.
Rommel Catalan
User offline. Last seen 18 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
Just to correct my error that BCWP is Budgeted Cost of Work Performed
Rommel Catalan
User offline. Last seen 18 years 48 weeks ago. Offline
To Nick,
I haven’t tried working Earned Value with any planning software and very much contented doing it with MS Excel sheets. Earned value has nothing to do with status date, I believe, since the formula alone says BCWP (Earned Value)= % Complete x Budget.

To Planners,
For those not familiar with Earned Value or BCWP (Budgeted of Work Performed), this is very important on tracking project costs and comparing with schedule (BCWS) and actual values (ACWP). I recommend reading the book of Mr. Fleming (Earned Value Management Systems).

Regards,
Rommel

Charleston-Joseph...
User offline. Last seen 3 years 3 weeks ago. Offline
Hi Nick,

Although you answer your own question, you have done the best for planners.

I do believe EARNED VALUE is the future for planners.

I encourage you to move on and tell us more about EARNED VALUE.

Cheer,
Niek Zonneveld
I don’t know if it’s common practice to answer to your own thread but here we go anyway.

MS Project takes the baseline start into consideration when it calculates the BCWP (=EV). An activity which was not supposed to have started will not receive any Earned Value, no matter the percentage complete.

Since this is utterly wrong you’ll need to create your own custom EVM-fields with formulas in MSP, or push the whole lot into Excel.

I hope this saves other people some time (and frustration) in figuring out what the hell is wrong with the EVM numbers from MSP.

Cheers,

Niek.